Using a charge controller with a Xantrex Powerpack

10 Posts
May 25, 2008 12:37 pm
Using a charge controller with a Xantrex Powerpack

I successfully hooked up a small 6W panel directly to a Xantrex Powerpack using a coaxial power plug. While in direct sunlight, the system charged the Powerpack just fine. However, I noticed some strange behavior whenever there was shade or the sun was going down. I assumed this was caused by reverse current leakage.

As a remedy I added a Morningstar Sunsaver SS-6A, 12V PWM charge controller in between the panel and the Powerpack. Please look at the photo gallery below to see what I'm talking about.

http://gallery.altenergystore.com/Vince-Allen-gallery/v/6183188630/chargecontroller/

This however does not work. The battery does not charge. Also, using a multimeter I could get an amperage reading at the PV connection on the controller. However, both the battery connections or the load connections gave a zero reading.

What's going on? Why would this system fail with the introduction of a charge controller?

Thanks.

578 Posts
May 26, 2008 12:23 am
Re: Using a charge controller with a Xantrex Powerpack

doesnt the powerpack have a cig lighter dc input/output? 
what is the plug slot that you are plugging that cable that you made into?  it looks like that is what fits into the ac outlet.  if that is the case, that is why it does not work.
if you want to use a module that does not originally come with the cig adapter, then you have to hardwire the output of the charge controller to a cig lighter plug, not a barrel plug that gets plugged into the ac charger port.

i think that is what is going on, and hopefully the dc you fed into that thing did not wreck the ac charger.

james on location in chicago
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

10 Posts
May 26, 2008 10:02 am

I see...so the charge controller outputs DC power. I was running a cable with a coax plug into the AC input socket. It appears that this error has not damaged the Powerpack.

So yes, the Powerpack comes with a DC/DC charging cable with cigarette jack connectors on either end. To hardwire the cable to the charge controller, I'm assuming I need to clip off one of the cigarette jack connectors. I'll give it a shot and see happens.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008 10:47 am by Vince Allen »

10 Posts
May 26, 2008 11:01 am

I've clipped off one of the cigarette jack connectors, stripped the wire and connected it to the charge controller. From what I can gather from other posts, the wire connected to the center terminal is the positive connection. You can see it all here.

http://gallery.altenergystore.com/Vince-Allen-gallery/v/6183188630/dctodc/

I've hooked up a 6 watt panel and connected the charge controller to the Powerpack via my modified cable. However, the Xantrex manual states that the green charging indicator light does not light when charging via the DC input. So it's very hard to tell if this is working. I'm going to drain the Powerpack a bit and then see if it recharges via this method.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!