Breaker size for KC130 panels

1 Posts
Apr 16, 2008 07:08 pm
Breaker size for KC130 panels

The data sheet for the KC130M panels that I downloaded says to use 12 amp breakers in the combiner box which is what I ordered.  I just unpackaged one of the panels and on the back it says to use a 15 amp breaker.  Did the specification change upwards for these panels and should I return the 12 amp breakers for 15 amp ones?
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2008 07:29 pm by Jerry Durand »

578 Posts
Apr 17, 2008 10:08 am
Re: Breaker size for KC130 panels

hey, i just inspected one of the new 130tm we got in the office from a damage claim.  you are right, it looks like kyocera changed the spec.

they have had 12 for the longest time, and we went out of our way to special order the 12a breakers for our customers. 

i will work to get the spec page updated.

for your situation, it is important to remember that the rating you mention is the maximum series fuse size (or circuit breaker).  meaning that protection over the 15a size is not protecting the module.  12 is below 15 and was the old spec, so you are likely fine.  the point of the breakers in the combiner is to protect the strings from backfeeding and each other.  they are also protecting the conductors from each string to the combiner.  unless you have nuisance tripping with the 12, i would not bother to return it.

for example, sanyo modules have a max series fuse size of 15a.  it is common to see them protected with 10a or 15a, because with an ISC of 3.9, it should not get close  to either anyway.  the same is likely true with your kyocera.  ISC 8.0 should not reach 12a, but if the modules are "hot" or overperforming, maybe it could happen but i doubt it.

let your sales rep know if you want to return it, but i dont think it is problematic.  thanks for the heads up,

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!