Connecting batteries up

27 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 11:04 am
Connecting batteries up

Here's what I have,

5 x 110Ah batteries connected plus to plus and minus to minus - keeping the bank at 12V.

My question - Where do I connect the Inverter and charge controller?

Is it plus on battery 1 and minus on battery 5 or something else entirely?HuhHuh

Thanks in advance

Steve

163 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 12:59 pm
Re: Connecting batteries up

Steve,

It doesn't matter. Once they are connected in parallel, every positive point is electrically the same as the other. Same for the negatives. Also, don't forget to ground the negative. It will work without it, but if you have a problem then you want the current to flow through the ground wire and not you!

John

27 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 01:39 pm

Brilliant John many thanks...

Would a 550 Ah battery bank power a 5000 Watt interter?

Steve
« Last Edit: Apr 5, 2008 02:08 pm by Steve Miller »

15 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 08:19 pm

Hi Steve,

Most deep cycle batteries are rated at a 20 hour draw. So... 550ah/20 hours =27.5 amps at 12 volts. To get 120 volts divide by 10 you get 2.75 amps at 120 volts for about 20 hours. That is 330 watts. The faster you draw on the batteries the less you will get. So the short answer is no it is not enough battery. To do what you are saying you would need about a 12,000 amp hour battery bank and need to be able pull 600 amps. The wire would have to be huge. You can figure this yourself 12 volts at 10 amps is 1 amp at 120 volts a 550 ah battery bank gives 10 amps at 12 volt for 55 hours and that equals 1 amp at 120 volts for 55 hours. This does not include any inefficiencies, but you get the idea.
Regards,
Dennis

9 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 10:10 pm

Steve,

550AH will power a 5000 Watt inverter.  A 100AH battery bank will power a 5000 Watt inverter.  BUT! You won't be able to get 5000 watts out of it at 12 volts.  And as Dennis said, you wouldn't want to draw that kind of current from your batteries.  It'll destroy them. 

At 12 volts, to get 5000 watts, you'll be drawing over 416 amps.  Even 4-0 wire won't carry that safely. 

To get 5000 watts, you'd be better off wiring them in series to get 48 volts.  5000/48 is a little over 100 amps.  #2 wire can safely carry that. 

Read.  Read.  Read.  Next time, we'll have a quiz on why we should keep the current through our wires as low as possible. 

Good luck,

Tom

27 Posts
Apr 6, 2008 04:19 am

Thanks guys, sounds like I need to do a major rethink!

I think I'm going to create a challenge for you lot! lol

To help me resolve these issues, I think, will be quite a challenge...

Here's a taster! I live in the UK so the sums about 110v are not relevant, while I understand what was implied. Our mains electricity is 230v @ 50 Hz (usa = 60hz, I beleive).

I'll start a new thread with more details to get you all thinking!

Many thanks for your advice...

Steve

163 Posts
Apr 6, 2008 10:59 am

Here's a taster! I live in the UK so the sums about 110v are not relevant, while I understand what was implied. Our mains electricity is 230v @ 50 Hz (usa = 60hz, I beleive).

Steve, it is really a power issue so the same rules will apply. Now remember Power = Volts x Amps.

Most houses in North America will have two 110V (actually anywhere from 110V up to 130V) feeders into the mains panel. These 110V feeds are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, so 220V is available by going across the two phases.

For large loads in the 5000 watt range, like big air conditioners or electric ranges, it is normal for them to be wired for 220V operation, thus reducing the current and wire size.

If you have a 5000 watt 12V/230V inverter, the current at 230V is 5000/230 or 21.7 amps which can be carried by normal household wiring. But assuming that the inverter is working at full capacity, 5000 watts at 12V requires 5000/12 or 416 amps of current flow from the batteries.

Ignoring for the moment that such a current flow would quickly destroy most batteries, it would require a very large guage wire for the connection between the inverter and batteries.

An inverter greater than 3000 watts at 12V is quite unusual, so you might want to take another look at the specs on your inverter.

Some cheap inverters, with no disrespect to your inverter, will be advertised as 2000 watts in very large letters on the packaging. But on closer examination, and in much smaller lettering, it says rated at 1000 watts continuous power, and further explains that it can operate at 2000 watts for 5 seconds.

27 Posts
Apr 6, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks John, this inverter is (or at least supposed to be) 5k continous 10K peak. Now I will be looking at the details very soon, after completing this message.

there are 2 red and 2 black connections on the back for wiring into 2 x 12 volt banks of batteries. still only running at 12 Volts though I fear?

The more I think about it the more I think this inverter is not what it professes to be! more on this later...

Back soon with more details.

Steve

76 Posts
Apr 7, 2008 11:19 am

Steve
Are you asking if it will power the inverter, or if it will power a 5wk load?

How much constant load will you have (how much current will you be drawing at any one time).  What about surge current (like starting a power tool)?

Also, larger inverters tend to have larger constant (phantom) loads, even when they're just sitting there waiting for work to do.

You can power a pretty large workload for a SHORT TIME on a farily small battery array.  The problem is that you'll drain the batteries quickly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of inverter do you have?  If it has two (+) and two (-) connections, it is important to know if they are in series or in parallel.  My guess is that they're parallel, and done so you can use a reasonable size wire x2 instead of twice the wire size x1.  Are those connectors holes with set screws made for 2/0 cable?
« Last Edit: Apr 7, 2008 11:24 am by Travis McMillian »

27 Posts
Apr 7, 2008 03:48 pm

Steve

How much constant load will you have (how much current will you be drawing at any one time).  What about surge current (like starting a power tool)?

Also, larger inverters tend to have larger constant (phantom) loads, even when they're just sitting there waiting for work to do.

You can power a pretty large workload for a SHORT TIME on a farly small battery array.  The problem is that you'll drain the batteries quickly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of inverter do you have?  If it has two (+) and two (-) connections, it is important to know if they are in series or in parallel.  My guess is that they're parallel, and done so you can use a reasonable size wire x2 instead of twice the wire size x1.  Are those connectors holes with set screws made for 2/0 cable?

Travis Thanks mate. It appears you guys are not only making me think, but posing more questions than answers!

To answer your questions:

Both really, the problem is this: so the testing I've done is to run the tumble dryer (motor ans 2Kw heater) from the inverter. This works find with nothing else initially. However, the 'anti-tangle' system causes the drum to turn for several seconds in one direction then change and so on...

Fine when the heater is not on, but while heating the audible warning on the inverter sounds and the LED that shows the watts drawn and battery volts (switchable) flickers and is unreadable.

This is with the inverter starting from cold, so it is unlikely to be the overheat warning.

The Watt display shows around 2200 while readable. (remember this is, or at least supposed to be a 5K-10K inverter) so 2.2K should not stress it at all.

My question stems from wheather or not there is a requirement for a certain size of battery bank to be big/powerful enough to supply the inverter the power it needs to reach the output level.

The Inverter is a 'Power Jack'. The 2 sets of battery cables are wired to the same battery bank, 1 set to each end. (never remember serial/parallel).

This did help a little, against just one set to batt 1 +/batt 5 -.

The cables are those supplied and are pretty thick...

looking forward to your comments...

Thanks again

Steve

76 Posts
Apr 8, 2008 12:17 pm

My guess, then, is that the batteries are so small that there is significant voltage drop when a large load is applied.  Have you hooked up a voltmeter and then attempted to apply various loads to see how much the voltage drops?

That's probably the culprit.

I'm using a bank of four 12v Trojan J185H batteries, each of which has a 215AH capacity (@ 20hr).  I've been able to run a Craftsman drill press, which is the largest single device I have in my garage, without issue.

27 Posts
Apr 8, 2008 02:31 pm

Thanks Travis, I'll give that a try. However, 5 x 110 Ah new batteries should be reasonable, I would have thought...

I'll run some tests and post the results.

Thanks again

Steve

76 Posts
Apr 8, 2008 02:51 pm

Thanks Travis, I'll give that a try. However, 5 x 110 Ah new batteries should be reasonable, I would have thought...

I'll run some tests and post the results.

Thanks again

Steve
It's not "just" the size of the batteries, but possibly also combined with loss at the connections.  As is said previously, the amps on that draw would be outrageous. How are the batteries connected to each other (wire size and the connectors/lugs themselves)?  How are they connected to the inverter?  Have you charged each battery individually to full state of charge with a regular household battery charger, so you know they're all full and equally charged?

So many quetions, eh?

My recommendation would be to trade in the 12v inverter on a 24 or 48v version.  The inverter/charger I use is 24v, and I don't expect to draw more than 3kw at any one time.  If I did, I would have opted for a 48v battery bank and inverter input voltage, to keep amperes lower.
 Even with my 24v setup, the batteries are connected to each other and to the inverter with 2/0 "welding cable" and double-crimped bolt-down lugs.
« Last Edit: Apr 8, 2008 02:55 pm by Travis McMillian »

27 Posts
Apr 8, 2008 03:39 pm

Travis, As you thought, the voltage is dropping quite a bit under load. Here are some test results:

Three readings,
#1 from the 40A charge controller connected to each end of the bank
#2 from another spare controller connected to both terminals on battery #2
#3 from my little multi-meter (set to 20V)connected to battery #4

At the start with inverter off readings as follows:

#1 = 12.7  #2 = 12.9  3 = 12.73

inverter switched on/no load

no change to any

tumble dryer on = 1745 watts shown on the inverter readout

readings = #1 = 12.0 #2 = 12.1  #3 11.41

after approx. 5 minutes still 1745 watts on inverter readoout

readings = #1 = 11  #2 = 12 #3 = random (flickering)

the inverters cooling fan switched after about 7 or 8 minutes

After switching off the tumble dryer the readings were as follows: #1 = 11.8  #2 = 12.5  #3 = 12.34

What do you make of these results?

On your other questions:

No I haven't charged each, but I will be at the weekend...

the batteries are connected with heavy cable, thick multi-strand solid not flexable cable, it think it is what we use for mains incoming to utility meter. This is clamped directly onto the battery terminals, which are the post mounting type with a metal plate held on by two bolts.

looking forward to your comments

thanks again

Steve

76 Posts
Apr 8, 2008 03:46 pm

If the batteries were all equally charged, of equal state (that is, newness, ability to hold a charge, capacity), and well-connected electrically, they should all be showing the same voltage.  barring differences between meters (which might be up to 0.2v or so) it seems you either have bad or undercharged batter(y/ies) or bad connections between them.

bad == not able to handle such high amps without severe loss

You are drawing lots of amps.  I'm building an electric truck (the 2nd electric vehicle I've dabbled with) and can tell ya- it's really easy to make ONE crappy electrical connection and lose an incredible amount of usable power.
Same with batteries - one bad one (or just undercharged) can really suck the life out of the rest of them, especially when you're applying a large load (like 350amps @ 120v like the electric PT Cruiser I owned).

Hope some of this helps!

27 Posts
Apr 10, 2008 04:58 pm

Update...

Battery bank striped and in the process of being charged individually. Also the battery linking cables are being changed for 8mm thick cable and the connections will all be tested before the bank is rebuilt.

Then I'll run some more load tests! Results will be posted for comments...

Steve

27 Posts
Apr 14, 2008 11:58 am

Hi All
Batteries all reconnected after charging each. Now the bank is all equal whichever battery is checked.

Will be doing some load testing in the coming few days. Have done a small load test, this was 3-400 watts for an hour, the bank dropped from 13.8 to 13.2 under load but soon recovered after the test returning to 13.5 or 6 then recovering quickly with the panels/charger replacing the loss in a very short time.

More to follow...

Steve

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!