AGM Batteries - Do They Vent?

72 Posts
Apr 2, 2008 08:38 pm
AGM Batteries - Do They Vent?

Do AGM Batteries vent?

I'm mostly worried about the fact that I am going to have 4 105ah batteries within a few feet of a riding lawn mower ... inside a shed. ( But inside an enclosure ) And that the mower will be cranked and moved out of the shed ... again only a few feet away from the batteries.

Since they are enclosed ...Can they or their emissions ignite?

I'm I gonna go boom? :-)

163 Posts
Apr 3, 2008 05:43 pm
Re: AGM Batteries - Do They Vent?

I'm I gonna go boom? :-)

Probably not.
http://batteryuniversity.com/

72 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 02:53 pm

John,
Thanks for the reply and reference link.
My question, or at least the part about 'boom', was at least 50% tongue in cheek.

But, I really do want to know ...

Do they vent during normal use?

From what I can tell, they do not. They may vent in a bad over-charge .. or similar. But in general, normal use AGM's do not vent hydrogen oxygen or other gases .

I'm just trying to get someone to confirm.

Thanks in advance,

15 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 07:43 pm

Hi Keith,
The batteries do vent. The probability of them exploding is directly proportional to how badly you overcharge them. All batteries should be kept in a battery box of some sort that is vented to the outdoors. The vent should be placed at a high point as hydrogen gas is lighter than air and rises. If your batteries are in a shed just build a plywood box with a hinged lid and vent it outside with a dryer vent. It also protects your electronics from being corroded by hydrogen sulfide gas.
Regards,
Dennis

72 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 08:14 pm

Dennis,
Thanks for the answer and feedback.

But, I am still left confused.

If a sealed AGM battery does vent hydrogen during normal use ... then that hydrogen surely comes from the water(fluid) in the battery ... which should result in lower fluid levels ... which should require replenishment.

But, I thought that sealed AGM batteries never required water to be added.

And, some reference to AGM batteries mention not needing to be vented as an advantage.

All of this left me believing that sealed agm batteries were designed not to generate hydrogen/oxygen. But, at the same time it seams unlikely that some H is not split with all that energy being moved.

I feel like I'm missing a piece of understanding here.

Anyways, can anyone give final confirmation that this battery:
http://store.altenergystore.com/Batteries/Batteries-Sealed-Agm/MK-8A31-AGM-105-Ah-20-Hr-AGM-Battery/p769/
does indeed require ventilation.

Thanks to all for your help and patience with my 'thick-headed-ness' :-)

15 Posts
Apr 5, 2008 08:57 pm

Hi Keith,
Call the manufacturer and ask them, and let us know what they tell you. I had some in my garage, and when I did an equalizing charge on them they would stink up the garage to the point that it worried me. After the first time I did that I always made sure I had all of the garage doors open first.
Regards,
Dennis

72 Posts
Apr 6, 2008 07:10 am

More research repeats the manufacturing literature that I received with the batteries, stating that the sealed agm does not vent, and is sealed and pressurized.

How does a gel cell work? A gel cell is a "recombinant" battery. This means that the oxygen that is normally produced on the positive plate in all lead-acid battery recombines with the hydrogen given off by the negative plate. The "recombination" of hydrogen and oxygen produces water (H2O), which replaces the moisture in the battery. Therefore, the battery is maintenance-free, as it never needs watering.

The oxygen is trapped in the cell by special pressurized sealing vents. It travels to the negative plate through tiny fissures or cracks in the gelled electrolyte.

The sealing vent is critical to the performance of the gel cell. The cell must maintain a positive internal pressure. Otherwise the recombination of the gasses will not take place, and the cell will dry out and not perform.

In addition, the valve must safely release any excess pressure that may be produced during overcharging. Otherwise, the cell would be irreparably damaged.

It's important to note that gel cell must never be opened. If opened, the cell loses its pressure, and the outside air will "poison" the plates and cause an imbalance that destroys the recombination chemistry.

And this appears to address the question of can it vent, and how to store:

Can gel cells be installed in sealed battery boxes?
NO! Never install any type of battery in completely sealed container. Although the normal gasses (oxygen and hydrogen) produced in a gel cell battery will be recombined and not escape. Oxygen and Hydrogen will escape from the battery in an Overcharge condition.
For safety, these potentially explosive gasses must be allowed to vent to the atmosphere and must never be trapped in a tightly enclosed space!

So, it appears the manufacturer says roughly:
1. Put the batteries in a battery enclosure that includes venting. ( for overcharging instances )
2. The batteries do not vent under normal use.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!