Solar well pump prodject

1 Posts
Feb 18, 2008 10:39 am
Solar well pump prodject

My nephew wanted to learn about solar power so we decided to get the well running off of solar energy. Now to save face in front of my nephew I need a little help.

I have a 50W solar panel (14.3V, 4A) and a charge controller (60W, 12V, 5A) along with a battery bank (3-12V, 200ah each).

My well pump motor is 230VAC, 9.6 Max Amp, 1HP, 3450 RPM

I noticed that my amps where low compared to the motors needs but I'm in FL with 4.71 min sun hours for the winter times. So as long as I get a good inverter I am hoping this will be a good set up.

Am I off in any of my thinking please let me know. Do I need another panel or will an increased battery bank keep up with this motor?

Thanks,
Richard J. Crews

163 Posts
Feb 18, 2008 12:26 pm
Re: Solar well pump prodject

Richard,

A 1HP pump consumes around 1200 watts while running, and something higher than that at start up. Your motor says 9.6A max at 230V so it should go much higher than 2200 watts, but I would be careful just the same as it might be enough to trip a 1500 watt inverter.

The next thing that we need to know is how often and for how long is your well pump run?

A 50W panel and 5 hours of sunshine will give you 250 watt hours of energy, or 15,000 watt minutes of energy. Your panel will therefore supply enough energy to run your pump for about 12 minutes each day.

Not knowing how your well pump is used its hard for me to say, but if comes on and off several times during the day to pressurise a water tank then it would work fine if the total run time does not exceed say 10 minutes per day on average.

In the above scenario your system should work fine if you get a 1500 watt inverter with a surge rating of 2500 watts.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!