replacing glass on broken module

76 Posts
Feb 11, 2008 02:21 pm
replacing glass on broken module

I just bought a pair of Mitsubishi 125w modules.  Both stayed in my garage until I was ready to pull them from the box and install them.  Unfortunately, I was not there to accept delivery, so I didn't get a chance to inspect the modules as soon as they arrived.  I pulled the first one out, which was undamaged, and proceeded to mount it.  I then pulled the 2nd one out, and it has an impact to the glass surface (from the starburst effect, you can see there was a point of impact, and not just some twisting load or other kind of damage).  The box doesn't appear damaged. I can only guess it happened after I got the box, but there's no way to know.  As far as I know, the delivery guy saw the "fragile" on the side of the box and kicked it to see what it would sound like.

So now I have a $600 chunk of aluminum and silicon.  Yay.

Can the glass be replaced on these, or is it chemically bonded to the silicon?  Would I need to purchase the glass from Mitsu, or can I remove the glass and replace it with something else?  The glass is shattered, but has not fallen out.  Barring any other solutions, could I just seal something else (another sheet of glass or acrylic) over it?

What can be done about this?

Should I just start buying modules that aren't made with glass?  In the future, I think I'll have the modules shipped to me office instead of my home, since I'm in a rural area.  I don't think they understand "fragile" out there.  Also, the packing of these modules leaves something to be desired.  You'd think giant sheets of glass would have something more to protect them.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 02:34 pm by Travis McMillian »

578 Posts
Feb 11, 2008 02:40 pm
Re: replacing glass on broken module

essentially no way to replace glass.  unfortunately, this happens from time to time.  the modules are sealed so the electronics are air and watertight.  as soon as seal is broken, the modules days are numbered.  it will work, but should not be used outside as water will corrupt the circuit.    always always inspect goods the day they arrive, especially pv, or else ups generally does not honor the claims.  when we get modules broken at our warehouse, we tape the front with clear packing tape to protect fingers from cuts, and use them for demo and training.

for everybody out there, take whatever steps necessary to inspect on day of delivery.
if you are worried about hail or delivery, the only modules that dont have glass on the front that are currently available are these http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Panels/51-to-99-Watt-Solar-Panels/UniSolar-ES-62W-12V-Thinfilm-Solar-Panel/p1985/

sorry to hear about the module, that is a real bummer.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

76 Posts
Feb 15, 2008 02:48 pm

Looks like whatever companies are going to make glass-less modules are the ones that are going to be able to tout longetivity.  With no moving parts, solar panels could last longer than anyone reading this, but if one little crack spells death for a solar module with glass on it, then the no-glass ones (like the Unisolar ones) are going to last a whole lot longer.

I think in the future (I'll be ordering more of these panels as soon as I get an idea of how much power is required to charge my electric truck), I'm going to lay each panel on a flat surface and pour epoxy resin over the glass surface.  I'm familiar with working with various polyurethanes, epoxies, etc.

That would add a layer of protection, and would also maintain an airtight seal, even if the glass underneath was cracked by an impact.

I'll have the two originally purchased modules up soon- one plain glass, and one (the shattered surface one) epoxy-coated and mounted.  It wouldn't be fair to test them against each other, since refraction from the cracked glass would play a part there, but when I get more, I'll epoxy coat half of them, and test them all to see how much the epoxy takes away from performance.  I'm guessing less than 2%, and that's a pretty small price to pay for turning something fragile into something durable.

As an aside, do you ever sell any damaged panels for experimental use?

578 Posts
Feb 15, 2008 05:30 pm

i dont recommend putting anything on non-damaged modules, as i have no idea how it will affect performance, and will likely void warranty. 

regarding the damaged unit, may be interesting experiment.  the  smashed glass units we worked with did out 10-50% of new rating.

we do sell smash and dent units from time to time, but usually  they only have frame issues, once glass is wrecked, generally nobody wants them and it happens very rarely.  I have only seen 7 in almost three years with smashed glass.

if you want unisolar modules, act quickly, unisolar has discontinued their non glass module line.  only the aforementioned 62w modules are left and those are new old stock.

cheers,

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

2 Posts
Feb 17, 2008 05:57 pm

Dear James, we have experienced the same problem and you can still use the module if the electrical output Voltage and Ampere rating is within 10% of the specification. This solution is not ideal but it works rather than discarding the module.
Take it to a signage company and ask them to put a layer of UV protected clear plastic film over the glass section. This will hold the glass together.Now let them cut a piece of UV stabilised clear acrylic sheet 3mm thick which will fit onto the frame of the module. Use a good grade of silicone and silicone the acrylic sheet to the module frame. Wait 24hrs and check the electrical outpt again.
You may loose about 10% effeciency but it will still work.
Please note this is an temporary repair and in the long run the entire damaged module should be replaced. We have done this on a few occation for customers and some of the modules are still funtioning after 5 yrs in the African sun.

Andre Friend
South Africa
frienda @ intekom.co.za

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!