What is More Environmentally Friendly?

1 Posts
Nov 9, 2007 09:23 am
What is More Environmentally Friendly?

Hi,

My wife and I live in the Trenton, NJ area and would love to have a solar PV system installed on the roof of our house.  However, this will mean we have to cut down some very mature maple trees that will shade the solar panels.

These trees shade our home in the hot summer months and really reduce the load on our central A/C.  At times when other neighbors are running their A/C systems we find we don't need to because of the tree shade.

Considering how important trees are in generating oxygen is is more environmentally friendly to remove the trees and use solar?  We want to do the right thing--environmentally--and cannot get an answer from anyone.

"Topping" the tress (cutting off the top of the tree) is not an option as it would significantly weaken the trees and this could result in them toppling onto the house in a wind storm.  Many arborists shudder when we mentioned doing this.

Has anyone else in this forum faced this issue and, if so, what did you decide?  I know that this may sound "hokey" but my wife and I really do not relish the thought of killing any living thing--yes, even trees--if there is any possible work-around.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

All the best,

Wally

28 Posts
Nov 9, 2007 10:23 am
Re: What is More Environmentally Friendly?

Hi Wally,

You know it sounds to me like you've already (and quite admirably) answered your own question.  The most important part of the decision to invest in alternative energy first involves a good site analysis.  I think you've done that and have even included some valid moral issues as well.  It is also interesting to note that saving fuel use and expense and even "Going Green", in terms of benefiting the entire planet, for most people involves economic sacrifice in that it requires them to make a rather large investment.  In your case it sounds like you can accomplish all of those things just by letting Mother Nature handle things on her own.  And isn't that the real idea behind all of this and your best alternative too?   

I live in Spain, so I don't know what if any alternatives exist in the US, but here there are a few companies that would allow you to participate in solar power projects, even if you don't have your own rooftop.  They are building PV power stations of 500kW to 5MW and even 20MW, in which they are selling shares of each power station, perhaps to people just like yourself.  Each investor receives his portion of the power sold into the national grid.  In fact, I am planning to start just such a venture.  In that manner, you could be free to "do the right thing" for your site and generate solar power as well.  If you can't find a similar option locally, I could give you the names of some companies in Germany and Spain that already have such projects in operation.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: Nov 9, 2007 10:30 am by Dennis Adams »

184 Posts
Nov 9, 2007 02:53 pm
Re: What is More Environmentally Friendly?

Wally,

I was glad to read your comments because I've been considering that issue as well.  However, my situation is a little different.  I have a sweet-gum tree that provides some great shade for the house and backyard, but it also shades my solar panels late in the afternoon.  My case is different in that the tree produces these spikey balls each fall that are a real pain if you step on them.  I've already cut the tree back, almost eliminating the spikey-ball production, and I'm considering taking it down altogether.  I think I'll lessen my guilt by planting one or more new trees in a better location. 

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!