Barbeque heat engine driving a generator-12V deep cycle battery-grill motor

1 Posts
Aug 22, 2007 11:59 pm
Barbeque heat engine driving a generator-12V deep cycle battery-grill motor

I want to drive a small 12vDC generator from a heat engine attached to a barbarque grill.  The generator will maintain the charge in a 12v deepcycle battery, which will provide 120V AC (through an 800W modified sine inverter) to the single use, the grill motor that runs the fuel auger intermittently.  I seek a 12vdc generator physically able to fit in a campbells soup can and generate 12Vdc at low rpm.  Please tell me where I can find that generator.
Don

163 Posts
Aug 23, 2007 10:45 am
Re: Barbeque heat engine driving a generator-12V deep cycle battery-grill motor

Don,

You might try contacting the folks in the Engineering Department at Purdue University who run the Rube Goldberg contest as it sounds like something they would be interested in. But seriously, since no device is capable of achieving 100% energy efficiency, why don't you look to see if there is some other way of more directly applying your energy source to where you would like to use it rather than suffering losses from each consecutive device you pass it through?

John

30 Posts
Aug 24, 2007 01:35 pm
Re: Barbeque heat engine driving a generator-12V deep cycle battery-grill motor

John - I had the same first reaction. Then I read that Don indicated that he only wanted to run the fuel auger intermittently. So it's not a perpetual motion machine after all!  However, the conversion of heat directly to electricity is tough. DARPA has been sponsoring development of high density, high output (this is a relative term) Peltier effect device that responds to high levels of infrared heat and produces usable output (mA, vs. the micro or femto amps that you get from standard IR sensors, for example).  Can't buy anything like that yet.  Possibly a small closed cycle engine that uses some of the heat from the fire pit..... and can fit in a soup can and produce usable output current. Actually, this type of device might have significant commercial application if it could be developed. Not sure from the original post if Don has some kind of heat engine and is just looking for the DC generator.

Tom Hardy, PE
HVTA, Inc.
Allenstown, NH

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!