Don Abel's posts

Posted by Don Abel on Sep 3, 2011 07:03 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Wanted > Re: Any Xantrex DR Series US Inverters, C35/C40/C60 Charge Controllers
I have a C-40, used, but works fine. It doesn't have the display and some of the knock outs are gone. I'd trade for a C-12 that works even up..

windorsun @ aol.com

Posted by Don Abel on Aug 16, 2011 06:23 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: KC120's

Thanks, Tom.

I read the following notice online and contacted Kyocera but haven't received a response as of yet..

Quote..
"2000-2002 year of manufactured Kyocera KC-120 aka KC120 panels have been reported to have bad batch's of panels that fail with interconnection failures and faults. No output, low output, intermittent output are reported symptoms and visually one can see burn or brown spots on the backside of the panel.

Kyocera has been honoring the warranty for these panels an as of 2008, is replacing entire arrays of panels with the KC-130 and no cost. they will also pay for an pre-approved installer to do the panels replacement ( labor )."

I'd hate to install these panels and find out later that I have an issue with some or all of them. I'll put another bug in their ear..

Posted by Don Abel on Aug 13, 2011 11:45 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > KC120's
I have an opportunity to purchase 20-KC120's fom an estate sale. I know that there were issues with panels built between 2000-2002 and Kyocera was replacing these. Does anyone know if the warranty is still good on these units? They were built 5/2001.

Thanks in advance..

Posted by Don Abel on Mar 31, 2011 08:19 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Calculation Confirmation of the Solar Panel Power in the DC Lighting System
We both know that maximum insolation will probably never happen but by using the Maximum Power Voltage (rounded down) as the mulitplier will include the fudge factor automatically with a slight error to the plus.

Posted by Don Abel on Mar 31, 2011 06:47 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Calculation Confirmation of the Solar Panel Power in the DC Lighting System

Example..

Sharp NE-170UC1 170 Watt 24 Volt Solar Panel

Type of Cell: Polycrystalline silicon
Cell Configuration: 72 in series
Maximum Power(Pmax): 170 W
Open Circuit Voltage: (Voc) 43.2 V
Maximum Power Voltage: (Vpm) *34.8 V (Round Down)
Short Circuit Current: (Isc) 5.47 A
Maximum Power Current: (Ipm) 4.90 A
Module Efficiency: 13.10%

480 watt load
Divide by 24 = 20 amps (needed in aHr.)
Divide by 4 = 5 amps (4 being the daily charge time)
Multiply 5 by *34 = 170 watts in panel

*34 being the Maximum Power Voltage or "Average Working Voltage" of a normal 24 volt panel. The sum of *17 works just as well for 12 volt systems.

Posted by Don Abel on Mar 4, 2010 08:52 am

#6 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: How do you keep snow from sticking on solar panels?
I use a Super Soaker filled with windshield washer fluid and squirt them down. It breaks the snow up and allows any available sun radiation to get to the panels to warm them up.

Posted by Don Abel on Dec 15, 2009 03:59 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: My Solar Project !!! (Questions)
OOps.. Mybad! I didn't follow the link to the panel. Thanks Jim..  Wink

Posted by Don Abel on Dec 15, 2009 03:45 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: House clocks losing time...
Sounds like your inverter isn't running at 60 cycles! You better get that checked out!

Posted by Don Abel on Dec 9, 2009 03:43 pm

#9 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: My Solar Project !!! (Questions)
"My question was if i can connect those pv panels that are rated for 18v to 12v charge controller, or does it have to variable charge controller?"

Most any 12 volt charge controller will handle 18 volts input. Some panels have 21-22 open circuit voltage. It's the current handling ability of the controller that's important.

Posted by Don Abel on May 17, 2007 08:56 pm

#10 -  AltE > Discussion > Re: What Voltage to use for battery bank
What in particular do you wish to operate with your power supply? I operate totally on 12 v.d.c.
~12vman

Posted by Don Abel on May 16, 2007 10:00 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Off grid or on grid
I've been off that grid for several years and I ain't never gonna hook up to it!

I survive in the Buckeye on a smokin' 512 watts and run everything on 12 v.d.c. "A.C." is a bad word around these parts. I don't use it unless I haveta..

I collect rain water and use a composting toilet system. I even have a shower and a cordless phone like them city slickers! Life is good..

I use propane to heat my water and to run my fridges and stuff. I only use the pilot light on the w/h and it keeps me and the 'ol lady in warm showers all year long. If I need hotter water, I just put some in a pot, Put 'er on the stove and heat 'er up. Luggin' them #100 tanks around can be a pain sometimes. Those sissy propane folks say I live too far out to bring me one of those torpedo lookin' tanks out here.. Grrr..

I'm gonna put a corn burner in this summer. That bugger only needs 2-3 amps @ 12 v.d.c. to run! I might be needn' to add a panel or two to cover it but I guess I'll find out this next winter. I gots me a back up generator.. No worries..

I found this company called Thinlite on my 'puter one day. I thought they sold diet stuff 'till I started readin'. They sell these things called ballasts that fire up 4' flourescent bulbs real nice straight from the battery! I got me a bunch of 'um! Built all of my own lites and momma was real proud of me! She made me some dumplin's and I went to the truck stop and got her a 12 volt curlin' iron..

Uncle Willie has a real nice camper he won in a card game. It's got a tank that he can fill up with water and a little pump comes on when he turns on a spigot. I check'd that pump out real good. It runs on 12 volts too! I had to have me one! Now I gots 2 of 'um! Boy, What they won't come up with..

Anyhow, I have 'round 6K in my system. I figgered $45/month as an average 'lectric bill. My calculator tells me that it'll pay for itself in around 11 yrs. I'm in year 8 right now. Won't be long 'till it paid for! I'm just as happy as a gopher in soft dirt!

Smiles Ya'll..  Wink
~12vman

Posted by Don Abel on Mar 5, 2006 10:59 am

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Help me design an off-grid system for 10K USD or less
I'm living on 512 watts of panel in Ohio. My system costs less than 6k. My home is 960 sq.ft. I have everything I need. I use propane for my fridges and collect rain water for my everyday uses. (Except drinking/cooking) I use a composting bathroom system to feed my garden..

http://www.12vman.com

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!