Bob Coco's posts

Posted by Bob Coco on Aug 20, 2009 06:18 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Help for newbe?
I don't know what the exact watt-hrs will be as that is hard to predict.  If I lose power in the summer, I just need to run some lights and misc small items.  If winter, perhaps some more.  It also depends how long power is out and time of day.  When I use the inverter in the RV with existing batteries, I can get 4 or more hrs of running TV, lights, water pump and even the heater blower thru the night.  Something similar for the home would be fine.  I have a generator and can use that to charge the batteries if/when needed.  I lost power for 7 days last winter and really didn't like filling the fuel every 2 hrs or so, especially during the night and at $4 a gallon.  Not to mention that when I finally got to shut the gen off after running 7 days, it seized up, prob from being overworked.

The inverter is a TRACE 2000w, I'm not sure what the batteries are, they are deep cycles I got at Sears.  I run them and inverter at 12v in the motorhome.  The motorhome is parked about 20' from the house, I am going to run conduit underground from house to RV.  If power is out in summer, we'll just live in RV till power comes back on and only run a small circulation water pump (28w) on our aquarium in the house.  So, not much load with that and a few lights.

I have a south facing roof and should get sun from approx 10:30 am to 3mp or later.  I'm having 3 trees cut down in the spring and that should give them more exposure in the AM.

Greg at altE has helped with planning and I've got 4 Evergreen 205w panels coming, a 80W MTTP controller, and varius other things to get me started.  In the future I'll be adding 2 more 205w panels and at that time a separate battery bank and invertor for the home.

Thanks,Bob

Posted by Bob Coco on Aug 18, 2009 01:47 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Help for newbe?
Hi Folks,  I just discovered AltE and what a great company and this board is excellent info.  I'm planning a small off-grid system and need some help.  Basically want to use the system as back-up power and to reduce some power costs as well.  I want to start small and have room to expand.  This is what I have in mind. I already have a 2000w inverter and two large batteries in my motorhome which sits unused for most of the year, so I want to take advantage of them for now.  What I want to do is put 4 200w panels on the garage roof and use them to charge the batteries in the motorhome.  I plan on adding 2 more batteries in the bank later.  The distance from the roof to the motorhome is about 25'.  Should I put the MPPT controller/combiner in the garage and just run wire to the batteries, or should I put the controller in the motorhome and run wire to that from the combiner located in the garage? Does it make a difference?  Also what amp controller would be minimum for 1000-1400w of panels?  Eventually I want to expand to this capacity but not want to have to purchase another controller when I do.  Thanks.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!