Arthur T's posts

Posted by Arthur T on Jun 21, 2009 01:41 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Feeding oil burner with SHW
Insufficient data...   However remember that 1 BTU is the amount of heat needed to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree F.  Therefore you have to figure how many degrees of temperature difference you need between your incoming water feed and the desired temp. going into the boiler, and divide that into the 150kBTU number.  This will tell you how many pounds of water, which when divided by the weight of the water (approx 8 lbs / gallon) will then give you the number of gallons needed.

It might be helpful if you could give more details about what you are trying to accomplish - is this a DHW heater?  Are you simply trying to prevent it from burning oil?

A couple of other things to consider -

1. If you EVER get freezing temps in your location, you MUST have some sort of freeze protection in the solar system - either by using a drain-back type setup, or using a seperate loop w/ a glycol antifreeze mix and a heat exchanger in the tank.  The latter is probably more efficient as it will need less energy to circulate the heated water. 

2. It is probably better to have a tank that you heat with a seperate heat exchanger fed by a panel with its own fluid circulation system.  This will get the heat from your roof into the system much more efficiently than trying to run your cold feed through the panel as needed to replenish the hot water supply as it is used.  It also allows a relatively low output panel to supply heat over a long period of time rather than attempting to instantly heat water as it is being used.

3. Often it is good to "overheat" the water in the storage tank, as this greatly increases your effective supply volume.  Standard DHW systems run at around 120*F, and codes say that you should NEVER get hotter than that out of the faucets to avoid scalding dangers. 

The way to do this is set up your tank to let it get heated up to 180-190*F if the panel will push it that hard, and then use an automatic "mixing valve" on the tank output to mix whatever temperature is in the tank w/ added cold water to bring it back to 120*F. 

Set the oil burner to fire at 120*F, so as to maintain your guaranteed minimum temperature in the tank.  If the solar can get the tank to, or above that temp, it will keep the burner from firing at all, if not, the burner will fire less as it only has to make up the difference between what the solar does and the set temperature.

ART

Posted by Arthur T on Jun 21, 2009 12:52 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Codes in MA about doing home brew hot water on the roof???
bump...

Posted by Arthur T on Jun 15, 2009 12:48 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Codes in MA about doing home brew hot water on the roof???
I have seen a considerable amount of discussion on some sites that I consider reputable, on how to home-build solar hot-water panels for considerably less cost than commercial glazed panels, and delivering nearly the same efficiency.

Knowing that MA tends to be more anal about codes than many other states, I'm wondering if there are any restrictions about putting home-built panels on the roof?  What sort of extra permitting / inspection hassles would I be needing to worry about?

(I know that home built panels would probably not be eligible for the stolen property (AKA tax) rebates that commercial stuff is, but from what I've seen it makes no sense to pay several thousand $ more in order to get only a few thousand in money back... (Plus we are likely to be spending more than needed to get the maximum allowed rebates on other improvements...)

Posted by Arthur T on Jun 15, 2009 12:32 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Controller for operating loads both with solar and ordinary power
Not an expert, but at some efficiency cost, and if your inverter was big enough, run everything off the inverter with a line powered charger supplementing whatever RE sources you had charging the batteries...

Posted by Arthur T on Jun 15, 2009 12:23 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Solar Panel Maintenance
What do you do for access?  If I do solar, my panels will be at least one floor up on a 12/12 pitch roof...

I'm under the impression that at a 45* angle they shouldn't need much (if any) cleaning, but how does one get there if they do?

Posted by Arthur T on Jun 14, 2009 11:20 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Power needed for remote wireless signal repeater
Way back at the beginning of the thread there was the question of installing a camera, with the problem of powering a 5v camera from an otherwise 12v system.

One of the posters said the only way to do it was with a resistive load.  This is not true - they also make devices known as "DC-DC" converters - essentially they are an oscillator that converts the source voltage to AC, a transformer to step it up/down to the target voltage, and rectifier circuitry to turn it back to DC at the desired voltage.  They aren't 100% efficient, but aren't as bad as doing a resistive load.  They do need to be fairly well matched to the load for good performance...

I don't have a specific source, but I'm sure Google can find a bunch of them...

ART

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!