Vincent Chow's posts

Posted by Vincent Chow on Nov 4, 2007 01:15 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What exactly to buy to run TV.
Hmm, John....thanks again.

Can you help answer my Q2 on how many days my model will continue working on cloudy days?

Thanks a zillions

vincent
4x4 and Solar

Posted by Vincent Chow on Nov 3, 2007 12:47 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What exactly to buy to run TV.
John,

Thanks for yr reply. I sorta understand but still not postively sure. Are the 10A x 12V specifications of the inverter?

If you have some time to spare, can you help answer the example which I quoted earlier to help me understand.

If this is taking too much space and airtime on Alt-E site, you can perhaps send reply to my email: kmv_chow @ yahoo.co.uk
Cheers!

Vincent
4x4 and Solar

Posted by Vincent Chow on Nov 2, 2007 05:25 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What exactly to buy to run TV.
Hi John,

Good day. I have further queries on the below calculation I hope you and other members can help enlighten please (despite being a old post).

First: How did you work out that the inverter will draw just under 10A to power the 75W load?

Is it from the inverter specification (if so, from a manufacturer leaflet, what wud this figure be termed as)

OR is this based on the 10A controller? If so, does it mean a 20A will draw 20A to power....

To concrete my understanding. Pls help verify below:

I have one 80W panel- assuming 5hr daily avg. sunshine = 400wh.
I have a 100Ah deep cycle battery, with 300W inverter and 10A controller. On the load side, I have 2x10W energy saving bulb to run for 5hr each and a 1x50W table fan for 3hr (total= 250Wh)

Q1) Since supply > load demand, is the system ok?
Q2) assuming 50% discharge cycle, how do I work out many day it will continue to work on cloudy day?

A million thanks

Here's what I would suggest.  But these are only rough calculations:

1 - 75 Watt (or bigger) solar panel
1 - 100ah Marine Deep Cycle battery
1 - 125 Watt (continuous power) pure sinewave inverter.
1 - 10a (or bigger) charge controller

You need 75 Watts times 3 hours, or 225 Watt/Hours.

If you get 4 hours of sunlight each day, you'll get 4 times 75 = 300 Watt/Hours.

Since you don't want to discharge your battery more than 50%, you have 50ah of usable stored energy.  The inverter will draw just under 10a (DC) to power the 75 watt load.  Therefore:  50 divided by 10 equals 5 hours of TV viewing, but allowing for system inefficiencies, expect 4 hours at the most.

Posted by Vincent Chow on Oct 12, 2007 05:29 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What do you understand by these terms?
Chris,

Thanks alot as usual. I will get the book as recommended.

Now working backward, if I need to have a solar system that is 200KW, can you help me with a ballpark analysis on the system components cost and quantity i.e. panel, inverter, controller, batteries. Or run thru the step of determining the system.

Will I be able to use the on or off-grid calculator as a rough guide?

As for yr video on the beer n electricity, du end up drinking by the bar w/o turning on the camera..haahaa..just kidding..

Cheers! Vince

Posted by Vincent Chow on Oct 11, 2007 11:41 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > What do you understand by these terms?
[The 400KW Singleton solar farm produces enough electricity produces 550,000 kilowatt hours of electricity which is used to supply public demand]

How does the 400KW relates to the 550,000KWH?

And where can I learn how to size to solar farm from book or online? I tried the on-grid calculator but it seems more simplified than the off-grid.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted by Vincent Chow on Oct 9, 2007 02:27 am

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc
Chris,

Thanks a million for the concise answer. It sures solve the mystery for me.

I assume you aim to reduce the # of parallel connections- is there any particular reason for this? or simply cost economics?

Once again, many thanks.
Vincent

Posted by Vincent Chow on Oct 9, 2007 02:22 am

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc
Chris,
Thanks a million for the concise answer. It sures solve the mystery for me.

In step 1-

Posted by Vincent Chow on Oct 8, 2007 05:49 am

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc
Good day.

I was using the alt-energy online calculator to size up a system which I am hoping to build.

I worked out the total wattage of solar panel = 7875. So far so good. However, when I come to sizing the battery bank, can someone help explain the rationale behind the calc for # of days of backup power and lowest temp of battery bank.

Right now, I inputted 3 days of back-up with 90 degree temp and I get battery bank of size 3703amp hrs at 12V.

If I unputted 5 days with 90 degree, 6171amp hrs, pls HELP!! Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!