Tony Butterfield's posts

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Feb 9, 2009 11:30 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: off to on grid
Right about the first $5000 of improvements.
Looking at a 203K FHA Loan which will allow for upgrades.

Most homes in Houston have single pan windows and min. insulation.

A local radio home improvement show said that a tankless water heater is so over priced that it would take 15 years for a standard payback.

A friend has a SolCool DC a/c system with 4 dedicated panels.

Almost need a check list.
- a/c
- hot water
- windows
- insulation/radiant barriers
- fridge/freezor
- entertainment/computer/lights

So, to the community, best suggestions for $5000 in home improvements before buying a PV system.

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Feb 9, 2009 09:15 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: off to on grid
Thanks,
Update to my units:
2040 KWh May to Oct.
1080 Kwh Nov to Apr.

1016 Sq. foot apt.

14.6 cents/KW on a 1 year contract which ends in August.

Shopping for a home $60 square foot not more than 1500 sq/ft. to remodel/renovate which would include the solar system upgrades.

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Feb 9, 2009 01:01 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > off to on grid with Enphase Micro-Inverter
Well,
I am glad I was able to spark a little conversation.

My original goal and my long term goal has changed since I have joined the ranks of solar power users.
Because I am in an old apartment in Houston I have huge electric bills. The apt. complex has no interest in putting in an efficient a/c unit. I spend $315 for 2kw/h per month for a 1000 sq. feet.  Doller per sq. foot I am getting really ripped off.  At first I just wanted to drive my own window a/c unit with a solar panel hidden on my back porch since a window unit couldn't be any worse then the a/c unit that I have from the apt complex.

But since then I have started to look at buying my first home.  It will need to be a run down foreclosure needing help. 

My thoughts based on what everyone here has said are now to skip the batteries at the apartment and go to a small grid tie system and some how bundle it into a renovation of the foreclosure.  This might be possible with the Enphase Micro-Inverter which I am told can be used to start a "small" grid system and grow with more panels over time.

I think a good goal would be 1.5 kw/h per month for a 1500 square foot home with 50/50 grid and tie in electric.

Maybe the question should be put out to the community is not how many panels or on/off grid system but how many kw is need per square foot of living space.

More thoughts please.

Tony

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Feb 4, 2009 01:36 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > off to on grid
Hi,
It seems that a person starting out should build an off grid system and then keep adding more panels until there is enough kwatts to make it worth while to tie into the grid.
What do you suggents?

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Jan 22, 2009 11:15 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Li-ion for storage
update:

here is a link to a battery company and their solar products:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=839

note that their charge controller is 11.1 v

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Jan 12, 2009 05:33 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Li-ion for storage
This week at the Detroit Auto Show new hybrid models use Li-ion.  Here is a list that I have found:

The MercedesS400 BlueHybrid lithium ion battery
BYD China lithium iron phosphate cells
Toyota Prius Solar Panels and lithium ion.
Chevy Volt li-ion
Cadilla Converj li-ion
Tesla 6,300 laptop cells
Johnson Controls unveiled its re3 air-cooled, 96-cell, 22 Ah Li-ion battery pack

and a press release rom GM:

General Motors Corp. (GM) will establish the first lithium-ion battery-pack factory operated by a major auto maker in the U.S. to produce battery pack systems for its Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric car.

I think it will be soon the Li-ion batteries will be a common part in the auto industry.

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Li-ion for storage
Funny video but, all Hybrid Car in the US for 2010 are going to use Li-ion.  Why not use them for Solar/Wind power?

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Jan 7, 2009 05:14 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Li-ion for storage
Can Li-ion batteries be used or does anybody have a small setup that uses Li-ion (example:laptop battery).

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Dec 19, 2008 11:55 am

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: NiCD battery
What are VRLA batteries? How small do they come and can golf cart batteries be used on a small setup?

Posted by Tony Butterfield on Dec 18, 2008 04:02 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > NiCD battery
Does anybody use NiCD batteries and if so what is the largest.
How do those kind of batteries differ from the lead acid ones.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!