Roger Leslie's posts

Posted by Roger Leslie on Jan 7, 2009 08:42 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: function of a voltage regulator
I want to thank all of you for the excellent information!!!  You have been extremely helpful!!

After running the numbers, even if I can achieve 80% efficiency, it will take over 16 years to get a return on my investment (after tax credits).  So this brilliant idea is going into a rather large pile of my other brilliant ideas.

For those who have suggested a solar water heater, I agree that it would be a great idea.  Unfortunately, no one location on our land gets more than 3-4 direct sunlight during the winter.  We live in a narrow valley next to a beautiful stream.....with very little head.

Thanks Again

Posted by Roger Leslie on Jan 6, 2009 10:45 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: function of a voltage regulator
What I WANT to do:

- Hydro generator will produce 24V @75W - 90W depending on how much rain feeds the stream.
- Power will run to our house 120' from generator (I have not attempted to determine wire size yet).
- Power will run directly into a dual contact thermal-relay-switch. 
- Normally the switch will feed a 60 gal. water heater (A) with dual heating elements.  The bottom element, tied to the relay switch, will be a 24V-100W element....the top element will be a regular 110V element.
- (A) is filled with glycol to be used in a closed-loop radiant floor heating system.
- When the temp in (A) reaches 120f, the switch will transfer the current into a domestic water heater (B).  The bottom element in (B) will be 24V and this is used as the dump load.
- When the temperature in (A) falls below 100f, the relay switch will redirect the current back to (A).
- We do NOT want to use batteries in the system, but I realize that I may have to.

My primary concern at this point is the heating element.  The volume of water flowing in the generator system will vary when it rains, so the wattage output will fluxuate.
This may require the batteries to assure the element receives proper wattage.  Correct?Huh?

Also, I have found a relay switch for this application.

Thanks again
Roger

Posted by Roger Leslie on Jan 2, 2009 12:53 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: function of a voltage regulator

Your 12V hydro generator will work just fine on a 12V heater element without the need for any buck booster.

However, I am once again making the assumption that your 12V heater does not have any sort of electronic controller in place that requires 12V, and that the disconnect is some sort of thermal switch that will cut the 12V supply to the heater element once the water reaches a certain temperature.

John

Thanks John    Your answer leads me to my next two questions:  a) since the voltage & wattage from the hydro generator may vary slightly, what wattage should the element be?  I have found DC elements from 20W to 600W.  The generator should produce a max of 180W.

b) Once the fluid in the first water heater reaches a set temperature, I want the charge to be diverted to a second water heater DC element.  What type of temperature controlled relay  switches would work in this type of application?

Thanks
Roger

Posted by Roger Leslie on Dec 31, 2008 03:46 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: function of a voltage regulator
John

Thanks for the help!!

Are you saying that I should use an AC heater elements rather than one of the DC units?

If I understand you correctly,  I can hook the hydro generater (12V - 120W) straight to the element without a
DC-DC converter to assure a constant 12V.  If so, that is nirvana.

Roger

Posted by Roger Leslie on Dec 31, 2008 09:20 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: function of a voltage regulator
To be more specific, I want to connect a Auqair In Stream Generator to a DC water heater element using a DC-DC converter (like the Buck Booster PST-DC/2812-8) between the generator and the element.

I'm trying to find a way to eliminate batteries.  The power from the Generator will only be used to heat water.... nothing else.  I need something between the Generator and the dc heating element to buffer the charge.  Since the generator provides power 24/7/365, I don't need a reserve power source.

Posted by Roger Leslie on Dec 30, 2008 05:46 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > function of a voltage regulator
If I place a voltage regulator between a micro-hydro generator and a battery bank, does the regulator lower the voltage and supply a constant voltage to the battery bank?

thanks

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!