Jeff Butera's posts

Posted by Jeff Butera on Dec 17, 2006 10:19 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Panel and Inverter Recommendation
If I were putting a grid tie system on my house I would go with the new line of Evergreen panels and a Fronius inverter.

Thanks Chris - as a resident of Massachusetts, I was already leaning towards Evergreen for the better rebates (and I was aware of the differences in production), but hearing another confirmation is good.

For inverters, I was considering Xantrex or SMA, but I'll take a closer look at Fronius as well.

Thanks

Posted by Jeff Butera on Dec 16, 2006 03:39 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Panel and Inverter Recommendation
I'm not looking to start a relgious war, but I'd love to hear people's thoughts about recommendations on both PV panels (sanyo, kyocera, mitsubishi...) and inverters (SMA, Xantrex, Fronius...)

If it matters, I'm looking at a grid-tied system around 2.5 kW

Posted by Jeff Butera on Dec 15, 2006 11:25 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Line loss/resistance over distance
more details, what modules do you have?  what is your battery bank voltage and inverter?  where are you located geographically (for temperature deration)?

- james - Alt-E staff

James - this is a proposed system in Western MA. I really want to install PV spring 2007 but have a couple of concerns to address.  First, we may not stay in our house due to jobs, so I'm seriously looking to install a system I could reasonably move with me to another house.  While my roof pitch/orientation are near perfect for this (MA) location, my roof is extremely high (almost 45').  Since I will be installing much of this myself and I want the possibility of easily relocating, a ground mount system is far more appealing at this time.  I have open, unobstructed space on my lot so I can optimize orientation and adjust angle through season easily with ground mount.

I'm looking to install somewhere between 2 and 3 Kw, ground mounted on my lot about 150' from house, so I'm allowing 200' including running wiring through basement to interverter to be located near main panel.

I'm on grid and because of both startup costs and proximity of inverter to gas water heater and furnance in basement, I'm not installing a battery bank at this time (yes, I know there are safe H2 venting solutions).  Thus I'm looking for some panels, inteverter, meter/cutoff mains and associated wiring . 

I'm open to thoughts/insights.

Posted by Jeff Butera on Dec 12, 2006 09:28 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Line loss/resistance over distance
I have a need to install my PV panels about 200 feet from my inverter/main panel.  My concern is about voltage loss due to resistance from the larger distance.  Thoughts?  Would running my panels to output  48V instead of 24V or 12V make any difference?  Should I just not worry about it?

Posted by Jeff Butera on Apr 15, 2006 09:06 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > PV Drainback Solar DHW
I'm seriously considering a drainback DHW system but want a PV powered pump to avoid the penalty of AC power.  However, I'm not clear about controls for a PV pump - I understand that PV will only run pump when sun is out but in particular how you have a high temp cutoff?  All differential controls I see are AC based units, so I'm not sure how the high temp cutoff works for PV.

Any insight appreciated.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!