dual battery banks

11 Posts
Oct 19, 2007 11:48 am
dual battery banks

OK this is hard for me to explain but I'll try any way. i want two separate battery banks going to the same inverter but i don't want the banks to drain each other how can i stop that from happening
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007 11:51 am by nathan plass »

163 Posts
Oct 19, 2007 01:58 pm
Re: dual battery banks

Nathan,

Go to any marine store and they will sell you a battery switch that allows you to select between OFF, BATT-1, BATT-2, and BOTH.

You should be able to get one that handles up to 200 amps for less than $30.

That should enable you to decide if that's really what you want to do.

John

578 Posts
Oct 19, 2007 02:25 pm

http://store.altenergystore.com/Blue-Sea-Systems/m115/Inverters/Inverter-Accessories/Battery-Switches/Blue-Seas-Battery-Switch-Selector/p4750/

this might do it.  i wish we had a picture though

if this is not the right part, this brand is the most common for things like that.

james- Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

11 Posts
Oct 19, 2007 04:46 pm

thanks but just one question in the both position will the current run back in to the batteries or will it protect it like a diode does and keep the volts going only in one direction towards the inverter. oh yeah also what about a battery isolator would that work.

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007 04:49 pm by nathan plass »

163 Posts
Oct 19, 2007 06:08 pm

thanks but just one question in the both position will the current run back in to the batteries or will it protect it like a diode does and keep the volts going only in one direction towards the inverter.

Nathan, I think you need to give us more information on exactly what (and why?) you are trying to achieve.

You might be able to find a large Schottky diode (or use several in parallel) that can prevent current flow between two batteries, or at least current will only flow from one to the other. I have come across configurations like that where a large battery system charges a smaller one, and the charge in the smaller system is preserved for emergencies, but both batteries would not be connected to the same load.

If you place the diodes in the line from each of the battery banks to the inverter then those same diodes that prevent current flow between the batteries would also prevent current flow from the inverter/charger back to the batteries so they would never get charged.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!