solar powered pool pump

3 Posts
Aug 3, 2004 04:27 pm
solar powered pool pump

Iwould like to use solar panels to power 2 pool pumps 12 hours daily, with an electricity load of 50 kilowatt hours/day.

What would I need to do this? Also, can you tell me somethng about the solar panel/pump connection interfaces?

Thanks

20 Posts
Aug 3, 2004 07:10 pm
Re: solar powered pool pump

First you�re sure it is 50 kw a day?  Those must be some serious pumps! My 2 speed, 2 HP pool pump pulls about 4kw a day in low speed and I run 12 on 12 off.

Anyway, to do this calc we need to know your location, but I will assume somewhere warm, and guess at 6 sun hours a day.  So we divide 50kw by 6 hours to get 8.3kw per hour of sun.  Now you will loose about 10% converting to 120v or 240v from the battery voltage, and about 10% from storing the power in the batteries.  So let�s just assume a 20% loss.  Now that is 8.3kw times 1.2 is about 10kw.  So we need 10kw of solar panels to power it.  That is a large array.  Typically they run between $4 and $5 per watt so that would be $40,000 and $50,000 for your system.

If I were in your shoes I would look at more efficient motors.  Even if you spend $2000 for new motors that could cut your usage from 50kw a day to 25kw a day, you would see savings much quicker that way.

Brock

3 Posts
Aug 4, 2004 07:10 am

Yikes!!

Ok.  I guess 50kw per day is incorrect.  Does 50kwh/day change the calcs at all?  

I live 30 miles NW of Boston, Massachusetts.  My pool area is full sun all day ~0700 to 1600, more in June and July.

Thanks

20 Posts
Aug 4, 2004 08:18 pm

Typically when people refer to kw, they are referring to kw hours, so it is really the same thing.

Actually in the Boston area you are even less, in the 4-5 hour range.  Again this is average hours of full sun all year round, more in summer less in winter.

462 Posts
Aug 24, 2004 09:22 am

solarman, what size are the pumps? 1 HP, 3/4 HP? One HP = 750 Watts, so times 12hr = 9000 Whr/day, times 2 = 18000 or 18 KWhr/day. If you are serious about using solar, to make it cost effective, you could change to DC  motors for the pumps and reduce your load. Or reduce the amount of time the pumps are used to lower demand, or use smaller pumps. Other wise you are talking 8hr sun/day x 150 watts/panel x 15 panels to get near the demand of 18KWhr/day plus batteries, controller and wiring......

3 Posts
Aug 26, 2004 08:06 am

The main pump is 2HP, and there is a maintenance pump of 1 HP, plus a spa pump of 1HP.  The spa pump is rarely on, but the other two run 10+ hours/day.

29 Posts
Dec 18, 2004 07:40 pm

Hi,
the 50KWH per day is realistic measurement.
I have 2 Hayward pool pumps 1HP (1600W) and 1.5HP (2200W) and run them occacionally on inverter (one at a time as inverter is max 3500W).
My 6,7KW solar plus 6KW Windturbine system is still falling 400-500KWH a month short to power the entire house (Fridges, Aircon, waterpumps, poolpums etc..).
Rating Watt of PV modules is a laboratory value at 20C temp, working temperature is more 70C with much lower Voltage output... so my 80W peak rated module (4.4 Amp * 18V) delivers more 4.4A * 15V  = 66W.
So yearly average for Boston area I would more set to 3hour/day of rated Watts.
Using alternative energy for 50KWH would mean 16.6KW PV array. There are several modules in 165W to 167W range for around 700$ and you would need 100pc of them = 70k$ !!
Plus some grid intertie inverters (6 Sunnyboy 2500W or 4 Trace SW5500GTI) another 12k$, plus mounting frames, breakers, wires etc... ending up with 90,000$ investment to knock out the poolpump consumption from your electric bill.
This is yearly average so in summer you produce more than you need (does the utiliy comp buy this back ?) in winter you buy some power from them.
The utility companies charge on average 8cent/KWH  = 1500$ a year.
Amortisation of 90k would take 60 years then.
Optimistic scenario with 4h rated Watt per day is still a 70k$ system.
When you are in a remote area and want to use an island solution with large battery bank the system will cost you above 110k$ - so amortisation against an Diesel generator looks similar bad.

2 Posts
Dec 21, 2005 08:22 pm

>Iwould like to use solar panels to
>power 2 pool pumps 12 hours
>daily, with an electricity load of
>50 kilowatt hours/day.
>What would I need to do this?
>Also, can you tell me somethng
>about the solar panel/pump connection interfaces?
>
>Thanks

2 Posts
Dec 21, 2005 08:23 pm

>>Iwould like to use solar panels to
>>power 2 pool pumps 12 hours
>>daily, with an electricity load of
>>50 kilowatt hours/day.
>>What would I need to do this?
>>Also, can you tell me somethng
>>about the solar panel/pump connection interfaces?
>>
>>Thanks

>

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!