set the charge voltage

1 Posts
Oct 30, 2007 03:02 pm
set the charge voltage

I have a Southwest Wind Power Air X Wind Turbine Land 400W 24Volt wind turbine and I have from my old system a bank of Enersys CBS C11 battery's, the turbine charge voltage is set at 28.2 by its internal controller.

Is this too high as the manufacture sets the charge voltage for the battery's at 2.27Vpc. x 12 cells = 27.24volts?

I can alter the voltage of the turbine but to what?

john

28 Posts
Nov 10, 2007 04:06 pm
Re: set the charge voltage

John, You still there?

I think you need to leave it right there at 28.2V.

Power = Voltage x Current and say the wind gen is putting out say 5 amps (?), that would be 5A x 28.2V =  141 W.  So find your current coming from the generator and substitute that current for the 5A above and get your power output.

Continuing,

If 141 W is running to a 27.24 V battery rack, it would charge at 141/27.24 = 5.2A.  Substitute your power output for the 141W number and divide that by 27.24V battery V to get your charge current (A).  There will probably be some line loss from the gen to the bats, so including that might get your gen output equal to or a little lower than the battery voltage, in which case it would only tend to increase the charge current to the battery a little more.  I'll bet you'd be charging at just a bit higher than 5 amps if your wind gen put out 5 amps like this example.

28 Posts
Nov 12, 2007 11:01 am

but maybe not getting to the full 27.24V

11 Posts
Nov 12, 2007 07:13 pm

Hi Dennis, I too have wondered about that. Before I bought my Air-X 24 volt wind generator, I bought a voltage regulator (12/24volt 600watt) specifically for it, as I did for my solar panels (12volt 5amp 60watt limit). When I read the manual it said it had a built in voltage regulator.

From what I know is, it's the built in voltage regulator is why the power drops around 30mph winds. I read too that when it gets roughly above 45mph winds it shuts down and then takes a while to boot up when winds weaken.

It sure would be nice to harness that extra power by turning off the built in volt regulator and using mine instead.

Denis, maybe you could help me answer in my topic I created about the lighting arrestor. The stuff I ordered from here came today. I thought the lighting arrestor would be bigger, but it fits in my palm. Does the ground wire go into the ground? I'd probably have to get some cables to extend that, especially since I ordered the 29 ft tower.

I don't know, maybe I can do it myself, I figure I need a AGW 12 cable size, I just like to get some advice from people who have experiance with this stuff.

28 Posts
Nov 13, 2007 01:03 pm

Hi Thomas,
The correct choice of prop is super critical for the average wind velocity at any given site.  Grabbing at all that air running past at faster than the average speed your prop was designed for won't get you any more power. You'd have to be willing to go up there and change the prop every time the airspeed went higher.  Then, if you do that, you'll lose power production when the wind fell back to normal.  Check this propeller efficiency chart.  Your prop is probably peaking out on power production at +/-28 mph, so ratioing that propeller curve there, its efficiency is falling at around 33-35 mph to Zero.  If you changed to a prop with Hi eff at 35 mph, when the wind is back around 25 mph, you'd only be at 55-60% of optimum juice making capacity, so you'd be up there changing the prop again.  I believe the gen has an internal brake that starts kicking in at 33 to 35 mph, otherwise the prop would vibrate and maybe fly apart when it hit 45-50 or the voltage would get too high at those rpms and start burning through the insulation.

I'm a rotating equipment engineer and don't know much about grounding such that I'd want to give you possibly bad advice, but I have found this information for what may cover some of your questions.  Read this page on lightning arrestors, check the diagram for the PV installation, and see you think any of it might apply to your situation.  I can point you to an engineering Q/A site where you might be able to get a good answer.  http://www.eng-tips.com  Register there and go to the Electrical Engineering and Motor Forum.  Post your question.  Usually the advice is excellent ..and reasonably fast too, although you might want to wait to see if some "alternative" suggestions come up.  Then come back here and tell me what they told you.

28 Posts
Nov 13, 2007 01:05 pm

Sorry, here's the page with the PV grounding diagram and info,
http://discoverpower.com/shop/item.asp?PID=80

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!