Will 110V generator run a Shurflo 9325 pump?

5 Posts
Jul 29, 2009 07:33 pm
Will 110V generator run a Shurflo 9325 pump?

I've had a new well dug to pump water to a .2ac pond (210,000 gal volumn).  The well recharges slowly, about 4gpm, so the 1/2hp pump far exceeds its' recharge capacity. The solar pumps are the only pumps that will efficiently ie:continuously pump. The Shurflo, at 60', would work great if, IF, I could run it 24hrs a day.  Would it work to use 110V, convert to 24V, and run the Shurflo countinuously?

351 Posts
Jul 30, 2009 02:46 pm
Re: Will 110V generator run a Shurflo 9325 pump?

What size generator are you thinking about and how many gallons per hour of fuel does it burn ?  Even with a small one, your cost per gallon (or 100 gallons of water) moved will be substantial.

Most small generators are not designed for 24/7 operation over an extended period.

I don’t have any experience with the Shurflo 9325.  But since they only talk about it running on solar and I did not see a mention of batteries, I would want to talk to Shurflo about the life expectancy in 24/7/365 operation.

Between the fuel costs and possible short lived equipment costs, I would buy a pump suitable for battery operation on a 24/7 basis.  The batteries could either be charged by a few hours of generator use, or even better, with solar panels.

Aug 2, 2009 01:41 pm

Is it known, how many gallons are lost due to evaporation and leeching, in a days (24 hrs.) time?
Obviously this would be greater in the summer than in the winter.
What I am getting at is, there may not be a need to pump water from the well 24/7/365.
If the well can produce 4 gpm without going much below its static level and PV modules will see an equivalent of 6 hours of full rated power in one days (sunup to sundown) time, then 1,440 gallons could get moved in a days time with the right system. Will 1,440 gallons of water be lost in a summers day (24 hrs.)?

5 Posts
Aug 10, 2009 12:27 am

The pond loses water thru seepage and evaporation in excess of what a Shurflo pump could deliver in Alabam's cloudy climate.  The idea is to subsidize water from runoff during fall, winter, and spring using solar panels/24V slow pump.

My wife teaches so we spend summers there. During the summer dry season, I'd like to pump 24/7 to top off the pond using power if we can get it installed in 2010. The cost to run a Shurflo continuously, would be about $12 a month, perhaps 2x's a light bulb.

If not, the generator I'd use is a 3000W unit, yet it'd probably pretty much idle to provide 24V 2.7amps, less than 2 gal. petrol per day.  Not great, but one or two hundred $$ to keep my fish thriving rather than dying, for 1 summer would be well worth it. 

In the future I can dig channels to catch more runoff and lessen the need for well water a bit.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!