Where and how to set up a solar pool pump system

1 Posts
Feb 5, 2009 07:35 pm
Where and how to set up a solar pool pump system

Hi I am in South FL, with a 14k gal pool, I have called some places to inquired about a solar pool pump system and found very limited info. I might need a 3/4 HP DC pump, DC controller and about 6 175wh panel, if not wrong. Ho might have a set up like this, specially on the pump is where I found difficulties.
thanks

Feb 6, 2009 05:06 am
Re: Where and how to set up a solar pool pump system

3/4 HP vdc pool pump. Not exactly the kind of thing you can pick up at Wal Mart on your way home from work is it?
You don't have to answer that Mr. Lopez. Its a rhetorical question.

Right off the top of my head I came up with motor options here.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/guideBrowseMatches.shtml

Speaking in terms of PV wattage to motor wattage your ok.
A 3/4 HP vdc motor will only draw around 700 watts to run. Of course this will only be for the equivalent of about 5 hours a day in the summertime in your neck of the woods. Maybe more if you can find a PV direct motor controller.
http://www.pvsolarpumps.com/dankoff_linear_current__booster_.html

Here is a sample package for a shallow well/high volume system.
http://www.pvsolarpumps.com/lorentz-pumping-systems.html

Keep in mind that its design purpose is for delivering well water but it gives you an idea of how much water it can move in 5 hours. Your system I assume will be forcing pool water from an above ground pool through a filtering agent of some kind. How often is it that the entire 14k needs to be filtered? Once a day? Once an hour? I am not familiar with these sort of things where pool care is concerned. We just go down to the creek. Usually, if we're loud enough, we can scare off all the snakes and bobcats and stuff so we can have the creek to ourselves. Depends on just how hot it is that day. Then theres the snappin' turtles. They ain't gonna budge. Folks around here tell if they get hold of your toe, they won't let go 'til it thunders. Can you believe that? But I bet you know all about that kind a stuff, what with alligators and all down there in Florida?

Anyway. If you manage to get a working system put together would you share it with us? The system I mean, not your pool of course.

It might be more simple to include an inverter and a small battery pack and run the 120 vac pump motor that came with your pool. The cost would be caparable to a PV direct system but with the right setup you could run the filter/pump longer if necessary. For example -
A 12 volt, 1000 watt inverter with pass through and charge capabilities, 2 - 220 amp hour golf cart batteries wired in series, appropriate charge controller, and a setable timer for the 120 vac supply circuit.

Put the time clock on the 120 vac volt supply circuit going to the inverter. Set the clock so that 120 volt power is passing through the inverter to the pump during the night and recharging the batteries. Then during the day it cuts off the 120 volt supply and the inverter goes to batteries to make the 120 vac until the Sun comes up and takes over. In the afternoon the batteries take over and if they are sized right can carry on until night. Most inverters like this will have a low battery voltage shut down anyway. I'll have to get back with on this. Crunch some numbers and all. Roosters a crowin' its time to get right for work.
« Last Edit: Feb 6, 2009 05:09 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

Feb 8, 2009 07:25 am
Re: Where and how to set up a solar pool pump system

Wow! I really need to browse the Alt-E Store more.
Forget everything I wrote above Mr. Lopez and check this out!
http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Pool-Heaters-and-Pumps/Solar-Pool-Pumps/Lorentz-Solar-Pool-Pump-with-PS600-Controller/p5827/
This comes with a strainer, I assume to protect its own pump impeller from debris, but it also comes with an 120 vac back up.
I can't help you with the back pressure specifics. I don't know what type of filtering agent you would be using; sand, paper, etc., etc., or the difference in back pressures from one to the other. It might mean a few more watts of PV to overcome this. I don't know. You'll have to use your judgement on that.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!