What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc

8 Posts
Oct 8, 2007 05:49 am
What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc

Good day.

I was using the alt-energy online calculator to size up a system which I am hoping to build.

I worked out the total wattage of solar panel = 7875. So far so good. However, when I come to sizing the battery bank, can someone help explain the rationale behind the calc for # of days of backup power and lowest temp of battery bank.

Right now, I inputted 3 days of back-up with 90 degree temp and I get battery bank of size 3703amp hrs at 12V.

If I unputted 5 days with 90 degree, 6171amp hrs, pls HELP!! Thanks in advance.

52 Posts
Oct 8, 2007 11:35 pm
Re: What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing

Hi Vincent,

I think that calculator is acting a bit funny. I know James is working on it.

Here is the logic I use. I’m not sure if the calculator uses the same (or something similar)

1. Identify the total number of watt hours per day you use

2. Identify the number of days back up you need.

3. Multiply watt-hours per day by back up days (step 1 by step 2)

4. Identify you planned depth of discharge. 50% is as low as I ever plan on. If you want to seriously live on the system (and not just use it for backup) I would go with a 25% dod or better. Convert this number into a decimal (.5 for 50% dod, .25 for 25% dod, .8 of 80% dod). Divide this number by the value in step 3.

5. Derate your battery bank for the lowest average temperature the batteries will be exposed too. Multiple a number bellow by the figure in step 4. This is the minimum watt hour capacity of your battery bank.

Temp in F     Factor
80+           1.00
70            1.04
60            1.11
50            1.19
40            1.30
30            1.40
20            1.59

6. Determine your system voltage. Divide the answer to 5 by your voltage. This is the minimum amp hour capacity of each parallel string of batteries (4500 watt hours / 12v = 375 AH)

7. Select a battery that looks close to your amp hour capacity you calculated in 6. If you can’t find a battery that is close to the capacity, look for one that is as close to half the capacity you need, or close to a quarter the capacity you need.

8. Once you find a battery divide your system voltage by the battery voltage. This will give you the number of batteries you need in series.

9. Divide the number of from question 6 by the amp hour of the battery.  Round up the nearest whole number. This is the number of series strings in parallel.

10. Multiply the answer from question 8 to the answer from question 9. This is the number of batteries you need total.

For Example:

1)   I use 6000 watt-hours per day
2)   I want three days back up
3)   (6000 Wh/day) x (3 days) = 18,000 Wh
4)   I plan to discharge the batteries no more the 40%. (18,000 Wh) /( .4) = 45,000 Wh
5)   My batteries will never get bellow 60 degrees. (45,000Wh) x  (1.11) = 49,950 Wh
6)   I am planning a 48v system. 49,950 Wh / 48v = 1040 AH.
7)   The price per watt-hour in the MKL16 looks good, I want to see if it will work for me. It’s 370 AH at 6v
Cool   48v / 6v = 8 batteries in series
9)   1040 AH / 370AH = 2.8… I’ll round up to 3
10)    8 batteries in series x 3 strings in parallel = 24 batteries.

At this point I would look at another battery option to see if it worked better. I’ll start again at step 7:

7) I want to reduce the number of battery interconnections (especially parallel connections) so I find a Surrette battery that is 4v and 1104 AH.
Cool 48v / 4v = 12 batteries in series
9) 1040 AH / 1104 AH = .94… I’ll round up to 1 (this actually means I have 1 string in series, so no parallel connections at all).
10) 12 batteries in series x 1 string in parallel = 12 batteries.

At this point I would email my AES sales rep and ask for a quote on 24 MK L16’s and one for 12 Surrette 4-KS-21PS (with shipping) to compare prices. I would break down each battery bank into total watt-hour (battery voltage x battery amp-hour capacity x number of batteries) capacity and then find the price per watt-hour of energy storied (total price of batteries delivered / total watt-hour capacity). I would take to my friends (and fellow forum members) about what they think of the brands, compare warranties, and then buy the batteries I felt best about.

Almost as much fun as a 1040!

8 Posts
Oct 9, 2007 02:22 am
Re: What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc

Chris,
Thanks a million for the concise answer. It sures solve the mystery for me.

In step 1-

8 Posts
Oct 9, 2007 02:27 am
Re: What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing calc

Chris,

Thanks a million for the concise answer. It sures solve the mystery for me.

I assume you aim to reduce the # of parallel connections- is there any particular reason for this? or simply cost economics?

Once again, many thanks.
Vincent

578 Posts
Oct 9, 2007 10:13 am
Re: What's the implication of # of back up days and temp on battery bank sizing

to reduce resistance, and unequal resistances among series strings in parallel. 

with unequal resistances, the chance for unequal charging and discharging rises.  with unequal charging and discharging, the slippery slope towards battery bank failure begins.

the more parallel strings there are, the greater the possibility for a poor connection, higher resistance, or unequal charging/discharging among strings.  for these reasons , we don't usually design any system to have more than 3 series strings in parallel.

- james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

462 Posts
Oct 9, 2007 11:32 am

....another consideration for consequences of charging and discharging is to rotate your batteries occasionally.....

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!