What do you understand by these terms?

8 Posts
Oct 11, 2007 11:41 pm
What do you understand by these terms?

[The 400KW Singleton solar farm produces enough electricity produces 550,000 kilowatt hours of electricity which is used to supply public demand]

How does the 400KW relates to the 550,000KWH?

And where can I learn how to size to solar farm from book or online? I tried the on-grid calculator but it seems more simplified than the off-grid.

Many thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 11:58 pm by vincent chow »

52 Posts
Oct 12, 2007 02:35 am
Re: What do you understand by these terms?

A watt (W) is a instantaneous measurement of power. A kilowatt (kW) is a thousand watts. Electrical power is a rate that signifies the relations of voltage to current. A watt is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current of a system at a given point.

A watt-hour (Wh) is a cumulative mesurement of energy. A kilowatt-hour (kWh) is a thousand watt-hours. If a 1 kW generator runs for 2 hours it produces 2 kilowatt-hours of energy. (kW x hours of operation = kWh.) The kilowatt hour is the unit of measurement that most utility companies use to bill there customers. 

To use an analogy, we can think of electricity like beer. If we think of beer flowing from a keg, the volume of beer would be like the current and the pressure in the line would be like the voltage. If we fill glasses from the tap for an hour, the number of pints would be like kilowatt-hours per hour and our utility bill would be like the tab at the end of the night. If we pump the keg it's like increasing the voltage and if we get a bigger tap it's like increasing the current- either way we're increasing the amount of beer that can be poured- similar to how wattage increases when voltage or current increases. Right now I'm working on a video that demonstrates this analogy- I think it's gonna take at least three kegs to prove my point. Stay tuned. Smiley

The quote you have is a little misleading. It doesn't say if the 550,000 kWh is produced per day, week, month or year. If we ignore all inefficiencies in a system, a 400kW array in the sun for 5 equivalent sun hours a day will produce 2000 kWh per day, 60,000 kWh per month and 720,000 kWh per year. With some reduction to the sun hours and some reductions due to inefficiency in the system, it would make sense that an array that size could produce that amount of electrical energy in a year.

Check out the Photovoltaics: Design & Install Manual. It's a good source of info:

http://store.altenergystore.com/Books-Workshops-Videos/Solar-Electric-and-Passive-Solar/Photovoltaics-Design-Install-Manual/p481/

Wikipedia has good entries on Watts, Energy, Power and other basic electrical definitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/

8 Posts
Oct 12, 2007 05:29 am
Re: What do you understand by these terms?

Chris,

Thanks alot as usual. I will get the book as recommended.

Now working backward, if I need to have a solar system that is 200KW, can you help me with a ballpark analysis on the system components cost and quantity i.e. panel, inverter, controller, batteries. Or run thru the step of determining the system.

Will I be able to use the on or off-grid calculator as a rough guide?

As for yr video on the beer n electricity, du end up drinking by the bar w/o turning on the camera..haahaa..just kidding..

Cheers! Vince

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!