What MPPT???

11 Posts
Sep 10, 2006 09:11 pm
What MPPT???

Aboard my sailboat I have one 130W PV panel and three Rolls 4-D batteries, 185 AH each. I may add another 130W PV panel. What size amp MPPT charge controller should I use?

65 Posts
Sep 11, 2006 12:16 am
Re: What MPPT???

Aboard my sailboat I have one 130W PV panel and three Rolls 4-D batteries, 185 AH each. I may add another 130W PV panel. What size amp MPPT charge controller should I use?

Generally speaking charge controllers are rated by their maximum output amperage. Let's assume you want to size for two KC130 (2 x 130 watts), then that's 260 Watts total. I'm going to assume you have a 12 Volt system.  So to figure out the maximum amperage output we divide the power by the voltage (from the formula Power = Volts x Amps). So here's what we'd get:

260 Watts / 12 Volts = 21.7 Amps

In reality there's a number of effects that could actually cause your panels to produce more power than their rating - like reflected sunlight off of the water, cold temperatures, battery voltage is very low (10.5V instead of the 12V assumed above), etc. So for those reasons we generally boost up that calculation by 25%:

21.7 Amps x 125% = 27.1 Amps

So you'd need an MPPT charge controller that can handle 27 Amps or more.

Here are some of the MPPT controllers that Alt-E offers in that range:

Blue Sky Energy's Solar Boost 3024i:
 http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Blue-Sky-Solar-Charge-Controllers-MPPT/Blue-Sky-Energy-SOLAR-BOOST-3024i-30A1224V-wo-Display/p240/

BZ Product's MMPT500:
 http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/BZ-Products-Charge-Controllers-MPPT/Bz-Products-MPPT500-40A122448V-Charge-Controller/p295/

One of the neat things about both of these controllers is that you could connect your 2nd panel up in series with 1st one for 24V and the controllers will automatically downconvert very effeciently. Wiring them in 24V will reduce the amount of wire runs you'll need to do. Handy trick.

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able" (tm)
http://www.altEstore.com/

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!