Very New to Solar

2 Posts
Aug 19, 2006 04:35 pm
Very New to Solar

I have an above ground pool with a pump to filter it. The pump data panel says:

HZ: 60
Volts: 115
Amps: 12

I have a dealer of solar kits in my area but I don't tknow what to get. The dealer tends to over sell their customers and I don't want to get ripped off. They sell kits in the range of how many watts you need. I might be asking the wrong questions here but please excuse me. How many watts does the pump use? For 24 hours use, is it worth it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Chris

Aug 20, 2006 07:06 am
Re: Very New to Solar

Motor nameplate amperage ratings are genrally high. They are for the most part what is known as locked rotor amperages. But for the purpose of calculating a PV system for a specific load such as the motor you describe, it would not be a bad idea to use it as is, because of all the potential power losses intrinsic to a PV/battery/inverter power system and of course, the weather. So...

120 vac multiplied by 12 amps equals 1,440 watts.
1,440 watts times 24 hours = 34,560 watt hours or 35 kWh.
Since PV output will last the equivalent of about 6 hours of the day, that leaves 18 hours of reserved time for another power source. But to offset the total energy needed with a grid interactive PV system one still needs to use the entire 35 kWh load in this example. So...

35 kWh divided by 6 equals a 6,000 watt or 6 kW PV array, not mention a grid interactive inverter that can send this power back onto the grid, preferably through a bi-directional meter. That will depend largely on your local electric power supplier or EPP.

6 kW PV array times $5.00 a watt equals $30,000.00, chances are your paying about $0.09 a kWh to your EPP? If so that same 35 kWh is costing you about $600.00 for 6 months unless it runs 12 months a year. So think about that. With that PV array, the other half of the year it will be "earning" almost $600.00 in savings. In other words in the summer the pool doesn't cost you anything and during the winter your earning money, in a manner of speaking.

All in all your looking at a payback period of about 25 years or more.

Is it worth while? All I can say to that is, not for me it wouldn't be. I live off grid.

27 Posts
Aug 20, 2006 08:45 am

Hello Thomas,
  Instead of trying to power an AC inefficient pump, you might wanna consider going to an energy efficient DC
Pool Pump. For every $1 you spend on efficiency, you save about $5 in system cost. Meaning its better to spend the money first on an efficient load, then try to buy a solar setup to power an inefficient load. Click on the link below to read the specs on our DC Pool Pump. If this is something you'd be interested in, feel free to email me back and I can send you a complete system quote.  Best Regards---Ben Farmer

http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Pool-Heaters-and-Solar-Spa-Heaters/Solar-Pool-Pumps/Dankoff-Solar-SunCentric-P-Solar-Pool-Pump/p467/

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x101  or +1.978.562.5858 x101
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

2 Posts
Aug 20, 2006 08:16 pm

Thanks for all the help.

462 Posts
Sep 13, 2006 09:43 am

Chris, if you really want to save on electricity, you may want to consider the amount of time the pump runs. Do some math and figure out how many gallons are in the pool and then how many hrs it takes to filter the pool based on the flow from the pump.(gal/hr). You only really need to filter the water a few times a week depending on what's in it. Leaving it on 24/7 is really a waste in my opionion. The best time to filter a pool is when people are in it, stirring it up. Try putting it on a timer rated for the power of the pump (12a x 115v =1380= 1500W).

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!