Tower for a Bergey XL-1 wind generator

4 Posts
Sep 20, 2004 08:42 am
Tower for a Bergey XL-1 wind generator

I am thinking about putting up a 40 ft tower (overall height) for the wind generator. The first 20 ft will be my water tank tower. The tower is extremely well anchored. The next 20 ft will be attached to the tower. I will be using 4in galvanized steel tubing. My question is how much bracing would be necessary? What is the safest maximum length of tubing that can be unsupported? Wind speeds here can reach 60 mph with 30 to 40 mph sustained. The water tower is on top of a hill with no trees within several hundred yards.

Sep 21, 2004 04:39 am
Re: Tower for a Bergey XL-1 wind generator

I am no pole rigger but I can see several aspects here that need to be considered.
Swept area and tower top wieght of the wind genny.
The swept area of the propellor is consider as one solid flat surface, like a sign.

Is there a chance of ice from freezing rain?
Ice can add a lot of wieght to the tower top wieght of the genny.

Wall thickness of the 4" steel pipe.
Is the pole material you want to use part of a package that would otherwise require guy wires?
If so then there would need to be support on the pole at the same points that guy wires would go.
In otherwords there would be a bracket securing the pole to the tower just before the pole leaves the tower or somewhere there abouts, and then possibly guy wires closer to the top.

Another way of looking at it.
I ve done things for myself in the past in such a way as to lessen the expenses of the overall job and where some of them were a benefit there have others that have bit me on my hind parts.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!