Solar sensor question

5 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 03:27 pm
Solar sensor question

Hello.. I bought a house last year that has an active/closed loop system.  I have finally gotten the darn thing somewhat operation. replaced the Grunfos Pumps.. flushed and refilled the system..It appears that one of my temperature sensors are possibly bad.. The heating fluid pump will not automatically swith on.. I will check the wiring this evening but the system is fairly old and I am wondering if any available sensor would work with my controls.. or are they more specialized and will only funtion properly with the same manufaturer  ? thanks

578 Posts
Dec 7, 2006 11:08 am
Re: Solar sensor question

what type of differential temp controller are you using? 
at worst case the controller may have failed.  if you replaced the controller and the sensors, that would probably cost around $200.  You can buy the sensors and try that first, they cost around $20.

here is a link

http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Hot-Water/Accessories-DIFFERENTIAL-TEMP-CONTROLS/Sensor-Ddt-Diff-Temp-Ctrols/p2400/

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

5 Posts
Dec 7, 2006 12:43 pm

I have some old controller made by Suntronix Inc.. I think they are no longer in business.. but it appears that the controls are working.. I shorted the collector plate sensor connections together at the controller and the heat fluid pump kicked on.. I then measured the wiring to the collectors and they read open.. the sensor in the storage tank reads about 16K ohms.. I should then probably try to find a 16K ohm sensor if it doesnt work after climbing on the roof and re-splicing the collector sensor wires..?...??
I am psyched to get this thing up and running.. the gas company here is ticking me off !!
« Last Edit: Dec 7, 2006 12:46 pm by Dan Jordan »

462 Posts
Dec 16, 2006 01:12 pm

Dan, sounds like you got it right, and your solution should be as james suggested with a $20 dollar sensor from the store. Might as well get two in case the sensor at the tank goes at some point since they are probably the same age. They usually fry out if they get to hot, since your system wasn't circulating. Also corrosion from being outside can kill them.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!