Shed Lighting off of Inverter

4 Posts
Oct 8, 2008 12:33 pm
Shed Lighting off of Inverter

First time poster, new PV system builder here... building it all from scratch and learning as I go.  I'm trying hard to comply with all NEC code, so I want to do things right the first time.

That said, I'm putting two 55W panels on a shed roof.  It will be grounded, have disconnects, and will have ground fault protection with an output, ultimately, to a Xantrex modified sine-wave 1000W inverter with two AC outlets. 

The entire purpose of the PV system is to have motion-detection lights on the outside of the shed and a small light on the inside of the shed. 

My question is this: 
I have two AC outlets off of the Xantrex inverter... so how can I connect that to lights?  I certainly know how to create a grounded, CFGI-protected AC branch circuit that wires into a typical motion-activated outdoor light, but that would involve splicing a power cord coming out of the Xantrex inverter.  Can I do that?  I could make it look nice with junction boxes and raceways, but there would always be that cut extension cord sticking out of the inverter.

Looking at NEC 2008, I don't see anything specifically prohibiting this since it would no longer be an extension cord per se but rather the "inverter output"  to a "single 120-volt supply."  (NEC 2008, 690.10 Stand Alone Systems)

What do people do here?  Do I only use the inverter outlets to plug in appliances/lighting directly ... or can I connect that inverter output to lighting sockets and lighting fixtures that do not use outlets?

Thanks for the help!

--Jim

27 Posts
Oct 8, 2008 01:00 pm
Re: Shed Lighting off of Inverter

I tied my 1000watt pure sine inverter output to a Square D 60 amp panel that supplies 120vac to my cabin, shed, and outhouse.  I just got a 3way plug and ran some 12-2 romex from the outlet of the inverter into the bus bars on the panel.  From there, there are 10amp breakers for lighting and outlets in the buildings.  It has worked flawlessly so far and is probably a NEC code book nightmare, but I have nearly 1000 hours of electrical experience when we revamped our office; so it is wired correctly. Smiley  My gallery has photos if you want to see my setup...

4 Posts
Oct 8, 2008 03:41 pm

OK, I see that you did exactly what I was talking about... now I feel a bit better!  You have a nicely done system... it even "looks" safe, which I swear if half the battle for code compliance. 

Off topic, are you finding that the 85w panel is sufficient to charge two 8Ds?

27 Posts
Oct 8, 2008 04:12 pm

So far the 85w panel is doing great, and keeping up with our consumption when we are there.  When I installed the system a month ago the batteries were at 12.7volts and the weather was cloudy so I never even got to see if the panel was working correctly before we left.  After a weekend of use the batteries were at 12.4volts and the panel was only throwing 1amp into them.

The weekend after that the batteries were at 12.8 volts when we arrived.  This was a dissappointment cause they had a week to charge, but after talking to my uncle who lives near my property, he said it was overcast for most of the week. It was raining the Sunday we left and once again the panel was only feeding 1 amp into the batteries which were at 12.4volts. 

This past trip when I installed the LEDs and stuff in the trees we arrived and the batteries were at 12.9.  But after a weekend of inconsistent sunshine, sucking about 80-130watts the entire Saturday playing music and charging my drill batteries while working, we left on Sunday in bright sunshine and the batteries were at 13.3 volts and still charging to the 13.5 limit the controller is set at.  The sun angle was less than ideal as it was only 11am when we left, but the panel was feeding in 40 watts and 3amps into them.

I have yet to be at our property on a clear day and at optimal time for the sun angle to see what it indeed is putting out, but so far it seems to be working quite well, even in cloudy weather! Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 8, 2008 04:15 pm by Michael Riewer »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!