Running solar charge controllers in parallel

6 Posts
Dec 16, 2006 02:52 pm
Running solar charge controllers in parallel

Hi all,
I have a number of solar panels - one 'set' totalling 310W, one totalling 180W and 3 odd panels totalling around 130W.

My question is; what is the recommended way of connecting these to the battery pack (12V 420Ah). One of the charge controllers I have is rated at 15A and I have this connected to one of the sets of panels. I have other sets connected to other charge controllers - one is a 20A device, the other a 10A device.

The 15A controller has a built in 'equalise' mode where it performs an equalise every so many cycles.  Will this cause a problem to the other controllers (which are older less sophisticated devices) and will the 'equalise' actually happen? The inverter I have doesn't have an equalise on it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Nigel

578 Posts
Dec 18, 2006 12:20 pm
Re: Running solar charge controllers in parallel

Usually these would be connected at opposite diagonal ends of the battery bank.  If you have a number of inputs, you may want to use a power distribution block, busbar, or insulated terminal block to minimize connections to battery posts.

It is unlikely that the modules will be able to equalize the bank, but I am not sure what your charge controller does, or how the other controllers will react. 

There is usually no problem putting separate controllers in parallel on a battery bank.  Sometimes they fight with each other, so just keep an eye on it after the install if you have any monitoring devices.

Some other folks on the forum may have some ideas as well.

james -  Alt-E staff 

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Dec 30, 2006 03:27 pm

When sizing any PV source circuit one must first know the "short circuit amperage" or Isc. This should be on the specification tag on the back of every PV module. After one has that number multiply it by 156%. This is per UL and NEC. Thats 125% for UL and 125% on top of that for NEC or 125% X 125% = 156%.
Lets say one has 4 PV modules with an Isc of 4.5 amps each at 12 volts nominal and they are wired in parallel.
4 x 4.5 x 156% = 28 amps
Not probable, but possible. Thats the NEC for ya!
This is the  number that one would size the; wires, fuses, disconnects, and charge controller by.
I have had this happen on my system only once in 6 years and it lasted only about 2 minutes.
It was noon time, temperatures where in the low 20's, snow on the roof, and there were those certain types of clouds that cause that "edge of cloud effect' and I was equalizing the bank.
 As for paralleling multiple charge controllers...
Working with them one at a time, set the voltage set points as close as possible to the same as each other controller.
Chances are they will come on line at slightly different times in the morning and go off line at night at slightly different times.
UL - Underwriters Laboratories
NEC - National Electrical Code

Dec 30, 2006 03:32 pm

One more thing I meant to add!
http://www.sandia.gov/pv/docs/John_Wiles_Code_Corner.htm

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!