Powering cabin from house system

18 Posts
Oct 11, 2007 11:48 am
Powering cabin from house system

I have a cabin by the creek between my house and my hydro system, the 24 volt wire runs by the cabin to my batteries.
Would there be any problems with putting a 24v inverter in the cabin and tapping into the wire going to the batteries as it has power full time even when the hydro is not running.
I also have a wind generator and solar panels tapped into the same line to feed the batteries. All systems are on a C-40 controller to a 24v dump load, the wind mill has it's own controller.
TIA for any advice anyone can give me.
Don

52 Posts
Oct 13, 2007 01:59 am
Re: Powering cabin from house system

What is the distance from the hydro turbine to the batteries? Also the distance from the solar array and wind turbine to the batteries? Between the turbine and the batteries, where in the cabin in this line?

The XW power system from Xantrex just came out a few weeks ago. I'm not an expert on the system (I haven't even had a chance to read the manual more the a few pages), but the system looks very cool for handling multiple power inputs in a system like this.

It might be less expensive (and simpler) to run an AC line from your current inverter to the cabin, depending on setup.

18 Posts
Oct 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Distance from Hydro to Bart's is 294ft Through alum wire 2/0 triplex . Solar array is 90 ft wind mill is 170 ft.
Cabin is located 100 ft from Hydro and 194 ft from Bart's
I have a spare Tracs 36/24 inverter.
As for running a AC line I can't cross the road with AC just DC
Thanks for your input
Don

52 Posts
Oct 17, 2007 02:01 am

Holy Smokes... this is like an SAT question.. A train leaves Dallas at 9:45 in route to Sacramento... LOL Cheesy

I would say IF your gonna do it, make sure you go into some batteries before the inverter...

Anyone have any hands on with splitting DC Huh

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!