Power Inverter Faults, what am I doing wrong?

5 Posts
Aug 31, 2006 06:24 pm
Power Inverter Faults, what am I doing wrong?

Ok, Im new to this.  I have a 53 Watt panel and the Open Circuit Voltage is 20 volts, the Voltage at max power is
14.5 volts.  My 12V power inverter shuts down when I hook it up because the voltage is too high at 20 volts. I can't use a 24 volt inverter because my voltage is too low.  What am I missing? 

578 Posts
Aug 31, 2006 07:09 pm
Re: Power Inverter Faults, what am I doing wrong?

my friend, it seems as though you are missing the battery and the charge controller.  correct me if I am wrong.  go in this order.

1. pv module
2. charge controller
3. battery
4. inverter

the inverter is not meant to take the input from the pv modules directly.  Inverters are meant to work off of batteries.  If the inverter is not destroyed, it likely will be if you continue to try to feed it 20+ volts pv direct.

if you want to learn more on your own,
check out the photovoltaics design and installation manual on our website. 

If you want help fixing what you have, please call us, I will help you, because nobody likes blown inverters.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

5 Posts
Aug 31, 2006 09:10 pm

Does this look like a standard system, if so, what kind of charge controller is this.  It seems reasonable to not always run off the batteries.

[Edited to make the picture viewable. Smiley -Nick ]
« Last Edit: Sep 1, 2006 10:20 am by Nick Albright »

578 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 09:11 am

yes, that is a standard system.  that is likely any pwm charge controller sized 6 amps or higher.  Try looking at a morningstar sunsaver 6.

As far as the panel, that voltage at max power seems very low for a 12v nominal module.  17 is a more typical number.  What is the make and model of module?  Or what are the full stats on the back (open circuit voltage, voltage max power, short circuit current, current at max power)?

It is not unreasonable to run things without a battery.  But, those things must be DC loads capable of handling PV direct type voltages!  things like water pumps, and electric fans are run pv direct often.  They usually have electric motors that can handle the higher and slightly variable dc voltage.

you were ablsolutely right, your inverter will not like 17 - 20 vdc!  you can run dc loads without an inverter, but with a battery directly off of a charge controller like the one I mentioned above, but they (the load) must use less than the amount of amps the controller is rated for.

feel free to ask away if any other help is needed.

- james - Alt-E staff

AltE

5 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 10:05 am

First of all THANK YOU!  You're answers are really helping me get a grasp on this. 

I'm still curious I guess.  When I'm running a load off of the
charge controller, assuming there is lots of sunlight, will the power be drawn from the batteries or from the array.  I guess my concern is I'd like the batteries to be charged for low light conditions and to be bypassed if there is plenty of power comming from my array.

578 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 10:45 am

the theory is correct, at least, but the charge controller is not that sophisticated.  when it is sunny, it will put into the battery what it gets from the pv.  If you have a load on at the same time, it will draw from the battery to fulfil that load.  If the load takes out more than what the pv puts in on a daily basis, you are operating at a net loss; not good.  welcome to the basics of system design!  If you are using more energy than you are producing, it is not the components' fault, but the system designer's fault.  although more storage (bigger battery) can delay the inevitable, making less energy than you use will ultimately create a system that will work intermittently if at all.

james - Alt-E staff

it is important to note that some charge controllers have what is called a low voltage disconnect (LVD) which will disconnect the load before you wreck the battery by drawing it too low.  with morningstar controllers, the models containing a low voltage disconnect have "L" in the name for the sunsaver series, and the prostar series has an lvd as a standard feature. A low voltage disconnect can protect your batter from an untimely death, but will not fix bad system design.  Incidentally, most inverters (even no frills inexpensive ones) usually have a lvd on them nowadays.

AltE

1 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 10:58 am

You can run an inverter directly from a solar panel but you need a few tricks.

First you need a charge controller to limit the voltage.

If it is a PWM controller you need a capacitor in place of the battery to filter the output. The size would depend on the load and the working voltage should be a bit higher than the maximum output of the charge controller. These things can explode if hooked up wrong.

The load must be smaller than the output of the panel or the inverter will shut down because of a low voltage condition.

5 Posts
Sep 1, 2006 06:53 pm

Ok, so is it just me or does it seem pretty inefficient to have to charge a battery and then draw power from the battery as opposed to sucking power straight from the PV.  Or, is the charging technology so efficient that there is little loss from going from PV to Battery.

Either way, thanks for the info I think Im set to join the Solar revolution.

578 Posts
Sep 5, 2006 04:17 pm

not to be a smart a#%, but it is not very efficient when you are running a load and then clouds go by.  then your load is not running anymore.  or how about this, what if you want to run something at night?!  no lunar modules yet Smiley 

that is where the battery and inverter come into play.  if you are worried about efficiency, use dc loads, and eliminate the 10% loss from the inverter.

- james Alt-E staff

AltE

5 Posts
Sep 12, 2006 10:15 pm

The way I'd like it to work is to have the inverter draw
directly from the Solar Panel when its generating electricity.  When the electricity isn't sufficient for the load then it would draw the necessary current from the batteries.

It just seems inefficent and wasteful of the battery to have to charge the battery before drawing current.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense.  I'm not saying I'd want the battery eliminated, just bypassed when appropriate.

Thanks for the help, I got my little system working!

462 Posts
Sep 13, 2006 09:17 am

Mike, don't worry about using power from your batteries when the sun is shining. The power you use doesn't care if it comes from the panel or the battery, so it shouldn't matter if the power you use is from the battery as long as the power is replaced by the PV. So it is like the battery power hasn't changed and you can just think you used all the power directly from the panel.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!