Parallel 2 charge controllers

7 Posts
Oct 12, 2007 04:14 pm
Parallel 2 charge controllers

Hi, I have a 24v system that has a max of 70a.
I already have one Xantrex C35 controller (half my panels are turned off) and am wondering if it would work to buy a second and parallel them.
Also, to parallel them, I would wire them the same way I did my panel... taking 2 and creating one. Right?

Thanks very much for the input.

52 Posts
Oct 13, 2007 01:50 am
Re: Parallel 2 charge controllers

Hi Paul,

What kind of panels do you have? Who is the manufacturer and what model? What's the Voc and Isc of panel (hopefully printed on the back of the module)? Where is the array located?

Thanks!
Chris

7 Posts
Oct 13, 2007 11:21 am

Hi Chris,

We purchased our panels directly from China, and they are (on back of panel) "Polycrystalline Silicon PV Modules" Model No. SLP100M-12, 100W.

VOC - 21.5V,  ISC - 6.46

The array is located down in Belize.

Thanks

52 Posts
Oct 17, 2007 01:46 am

Hi Paul,

Sorry for more questions! When you say 70 amp max, is that the max output of the solar array? How many panels do you have total? What sort of configuration do you have set up now (how many panels in series and how many series strings in parallel?)

When I size a controller I take the Isc of the array and multiply that number by 1.56. Then I find a charge controller that's larger then the number. You also might want to look into an MPPT controller so that you can go into the controller with a voltage that is higher then your battery bank and allow the controller to step down the voltage (while boosting the current). You could go into a MPPT controller with a nominal 48v and come out with a nominal 24v. Plus you will also get the added bonus of the power point tracking that will give you more energy in your batteries in lower light conditions- not to mention you will have less power loss in your transmission if your at a higher voltage.

If you're going to parallel the controllers you'll want to have the positive battery outputs and negative battery outputs of each of the controllers meet at a bus bar (or on the battery bank terminals I guess).

7 Posts
Oct 17, 2007 04:52 pm

Hi Chris,

The max output of the panels would actally be 72a. We have 24 panels of 100w/12v each wired in twos to become 12 sets at 24v. We have the same for the battery bank... 24 12v batteries wired to become 12 sets at 24v.

We already have one Xantrex C35, that is why we were hoping to be able to just add a second one and parallel them.

I guess my question is really can you confirm how to wire the two controllers in parallel. My thinking is that you have the controllers side by side and you jump the + from batt on 1st controller to - batt on 2nd controller. And also do that same jump on the PV + & - connectors. Then you would run the batt + from 2nd controller and the batt - from the 1st controller to the battery bank. With the PV, the + from the arrays into the 2nd controller and the - from the arrays into the first. Hope you can make sense of that!

Paul

PS   Here is a web page with our set up...  http://belize.cybercoltd.com/index_6.htm

PPS  I inquired about shipping to Belize on the C35 last week but haven't received a reply yet from Customer Service. Can you give me any assistance?

578 Posts
Oct 17, 2007 05:18 pm

no, wire each array to each charge controller independently of the other.  wire each charge controller to the battery bank separately. they dont talk to each other.  they dont care what the other is doing.  each monitors battery voltage independently.  go with a c40, give yourself a little slack.

think of it as two rivers feeding one lake.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

7 Posts
Oct 17, 2007 07:21 pm

Great thank very much for the info!

A couple more questions/concerns....
So it will not matter having 2 different size controllers?
I was under the impression that this would imbalance the battery bank?

On that same note, all my arrays go into 2 breaker box's, 1 with 8 set of panels going into it, and the second with the remaining 4. Should I balance these out to 6 in each breaker box. Then one breaker box to each controller?

Thanks so very much for your feedback.

578 Posts
Oct 19, 2007 10:49 am

no that does not imbalance the banks.  you should have the bat pos and bat negative from the charge controller going to opposite diagonal polarities

for example

P---N/P---N
                       P---N/P---N

if this were four 6 volt batteries set up for 12v (two strings of two) you would connect the controllers at the top left positive post and the bottom right negative post to ensure correct charging.

yes you would run them to separate boxes if that were easier so long as the amperage of each array did not exceed the charge controller amperage (35 or 40 in your case)

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!