PV array

9 Posts
Jan 23, 2008 10:05 pm
PV array

What is the most common point of failure for a photovoltaic system.  PV panel? connection point? PV panel?  wiring?

My control system monitors the sun intensity and compares to PV array output.  A problem is reported if the output is out of range.  Currently I assume that this is rare so I only monitor the Array as a whole. Is that a fair statement?

DavidA

184 Posts
Jan 24, 2008 09:32 am
Re: PV array

This is ONLY MHO:

I hear reports of problems with trackers, both mechanical and control-board related, and I'm sure you know that batteries have a limited lifespan.  Beyond that I would recommend proper grounding, fusing, and lightning protection.  Wiring and electrical connections should be checked once a year, and the PV panels should last over 20 years.

John

578 Posts
Jan 24, 2008 10:54 am

most pv problems are human related.  either on the design side or the installation side.  trackers add a moving mechanical element for a tradeoff in higher efficiency, that is up to the designer.  trackers aside, most problems arise from bad design and or bad installation.  assuming those are not a problem, i would say batteries are the first things to go in systems where they are necessary.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

9 Posts
Jan 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks guys,  I noticed that most of the trackers I have seen look like they require attention however given proper installation did not see any other major problem areas other than the lighting issues. 

I am just starting to design the PV system so I will have a lot of questions.

Speaking of batteries.  how do you determine the amount of amps needed from the PV array to charge the batteries properly?  i would think to small an array the batteries would not fully charge and to large is a waste.  assume no load.

76 Posts
Jan 25, 2008 09:11 am

You really have to do some number crunching and proabably a little guesswork to figure out the size of your battery array.  A little too big is A LOT BETTER than a little too small.  I bought an electric-converted Chrysler PT Cruiser last year to learn about EVs.  The guy that did the conversion did a decent job, but he really fell short on the batteries.  I took them a little too close to their limit driving into town and back and utterly destroyed them.  They were useless after that trip, and held only 75% of their charge after that.  I ended up buying a set of Trojan batteries after that, and took better care not to over-extend them.  They were still running great when I sold the car to begin work on my longer range EV.

So cliff-notes version: spend $900 on batteries when you should have spent $1200 means you just wasted the $900 and you'll STILL have to spend the $1200.

If you don't get close to draining the batteries, it's not a waste.  They'll last all that much longer (with proper care, of course).

9 Posts
Jan 26, 2008 12:36 am

I agree it is better to error on the larger side.  I am doing a lot of number crunching and measuring load to determine battery capacity than adding a 25% forgot something factor. 

My question was calculating the amps required to charge the battery bank.  Should I have enough PV array to charge the battery bank in one day (6hours) of sun or two days from a discharged state?  How do I determine the best charge rate?  Is it a percentage of battery bank size for example say 10% of battery capacity ie 500AH battery bank charges best at a 50A rate?

I can determine the home energy  needs but would need to build some capacity into the PV array  for battery charging over and above what the home is using. This number is what I have not been able to find.

9 Posts
Jan 26, 2008 12:56 am

I finally found the answer so not need to answer.
David

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!