Newbie starting up in The Gambia, West Africa and needing help!

Oct 5, 2006 12:18 pm
Newbie starting up in The Gambia, West Africa and needing help!

I have built my house in the Sun.  The village is off grid. I want to keep my consumption low but need to have a fridge/freezer, laptop, printer, col TV, VCR/DVD player, stereo, low energy light bulbs, 1 or 2 floor fans and some power to recharge mobile phone, torch, radio. That is pretty much it.  The house has already been wired so all will have to be AC.

I am near the coast so wind power should be feasible so I am looking to mix PV & wind.

Is there a package I could get that would work well?

578 Posts
Oct 5, 2006 05:03 pm
Re: Newbie starting up in The Gambia, West Africa and needing help!

margaret,

use this link to do a loads calculation.  with this info you can size a system with the off grid calculator on the "how-to" section of the website.

http://shop.altenergystore.com/Calculators/OffGridCalculator.html#

that is the loads list above

check out the calculator on how much solar you need based on your loads.  you can also post them and how many hours you use each per day, and i can help you.

good luck

- james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Oct 6, 2006 10:53 am

Thanks James,
My fridge/freezer is rated in Kwh/year.  The rated consumption is 339 Kh/per year.  How do I calculate the watts from this info in order to enter a value into the calculator?

Thanks,

578 Posts
Oct 6, 2006 11:47 am

we can figure watt-hours per day and add it to what the calculator comes up with for the other loads.  You can figure out instantaneous watts with a kill-a-watt meter, but fridges are difficult, because they have motors that turn on and off throughout the day.  We will take your yearly number and divide it out to a daily number, which you can add to your total Watt-hours per day.

339 kWh per year x 1000 = 339,000 Watt-hours per year
339,000 / 12 months = 28,250 Watt-hours per month
28,250 / 30 days per month =

942 Watt-hours per day. 

that is the amount of energy your fridge uses on average per day.  that is a pretty energy efficient normal fridge, but that amount of energy costs at least a few thousand to make and store with photovoltaics and batteries.  You would then add the remainder of your loads into the calculator, and figure out total Watt-hours per day.

let me know if you need anymore help Smiley

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Oct 7, 2006 03:17 pm

Thanks James.  That was helpful.  I will get back to you.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!