Newbie at a small public high school converting an electric golf cart ...help!

1 Posts
Mar 31, 2008 02:55 pm
Newbie at a small public high school converting an electric golf cart ...help!

Hi! I am a teacher at a small, science-focused high school located at the North Carolina Zoo.  We are working with an electric golf cart with 6, 6-volt batteries and a fairly large roof top for panels.  We have written a grant for the panels and the controller but we need a starting place.  The local universities are too busy to return our calls.  We are trying for a couple of hours charge after a 24 hour charging cycle.  We need more information on the steps to take to move forward.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The zoo has 1500 acres to explore and a golf cart is a perfect means to tranposrt small groups of students for research.  HELP us move forward. 
We have a golf carts, 6-batteries, and the willingness to learn.  Thanks in advance for any help.

578 Posts
Mar 31, 2008 03:34 pm
Re: Newbie at a small public high school converting an electric golf cart ...hel

this type of project idea is common, but there are some issues.  my alma mater san juan college has a golf cart project where the colleges fleet of golf carts are charged by photovoltaics. . . kind of. 

what it is often proposed is to put pv on the roof of the kart.  this generally does not work because the amount of pv needed to charge a kart does not fit on a golf cart roof.

usually the solution, (and what san juan college did) was to calculate the usage of the all the golf cart chargers.  then an array was designed to meet the load.  the golf carts and the chargers are completely normal, and the building that houses them has the array that is grid tied ( so no batteries are involved).

please feel to email me at myfirstname at altenergystore.com and i can help you personally.  other folks on the forum may have other ideas as well.

cheers,

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Apr 2, 2008 08:42 pm
Re: Newbie at a small public high school converting an electric golf cart ...help!

I am guessing all 6 - 6 volt batteries are wired in series for 36 volts nominal and that they are of the 220 amp hour (@ 20 hour rate) range like the Trojan T-105's?
It would be simpler if they made these golf carts so that the battery bank could be easily removed (like some forklifts) so that, while one bank is being charged by photovoltaics during the day the other can be in use during the day, but thats nether here nor there, so...

If your interested in re-charging directly from a PV array it will ether take a very large array with surplus electricity before and after the re-charge or the golf cart can only be used at night because it will have to charge during the entire day.

A start would be to know how many amphours are removed from the battery bank during a typical days usage.

If I took a guess and said 100 amp hours then -
36 x 100 = 3600 watt hours
that 3600 watt hours would then have to be divided by the number of hours of equivalent full rated charge available per day in your region.
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/
 If I guessed and said 4 hours per day averaged out over a year then -
3600 / 4 = 900 watt PV array at 36 volts nominal, but, this is bare minimum and it would take all day to re-charge the golf cart on the best days. So you can see why a very large PV array might be needed in order to re-charge the golf cart in a shorter period of time which would then result in a surplus of electricity before and after the re-charge. A second or third golf cart might be an option. One in use while the other(s) re-charge.
It makes a grid intertied PV system to offset the usage of coal fired power plant electricity look more inviting. Just keep in mind that this would involve; permits, contractors, and inspections but there maybe a benefit of tax incentives to offset the cost of them. http://www.dsireusa.org/library/includes/map2.cfm?CurrentPageID=1&State=NC&RE=1&EE=0
I geuss its true what they say, "theres no such things as a free lunch."
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1982-09-01/Take-an-Eco-Village-Vacation.aspx
« Last Edit: Apr 2, 2008 08:59 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!