Need portable system for camping

1 Posts
Jun 22, 2007 03:02 pm
Need portable system for camping

I need to pull 300W for 12 hours a day

so I think that is 3600 Watt Hours, so I would need 3 100Ah deep cycle or 2 200ah.

that part I think I have, plus inveter

what do I need in a solar panel to charge that system assuming I had access to 14 hours of heavy sun each day?

351 Posts
Jun 25, 2007 12:56 pm
Re: Need portable system for camping

You are not going to have 14 hours of heavy sun a day.

You need to use "hours of full sun" for calcing your PV panels. The highest rating in the US is just over 7 hours in the southwest or southern Florida. It is only about 4.5 in the northern areas of the lower 48. These are the best figures for summertime. If you do winter camping, different figures must be used.

So, to provide 3600 watt hours a day, you would need 600-800 watts of PV panels.
You will also need a minimum of 600 Ah of batteries.
In addition to the inverter, you will also need a charge controller.

If you provide some more details, (what your 300W load for 12 hours is, what general area your camping is in, what months you camp, and what is the make and model of your innverter) more specific comments would be possible.

578 Posts
Jun 26, 2007 05:20 pm
Re: Need portable system for camping

ken is right on the money.  your calcs for the batteries are in the right direction, but you cant run them to zero, so you double your number to 600ah for 50% depth of discharge.

what are you running that pulls like that?  just curious.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!