My mini solar system.

2 Posts
May 8, 2008 05:56 pm
My mini solar system.

Hi there. I have a small starter solar system, consisting of a panel, deep-cycle battery, charge controller and an inverter. Is there volt meter you can recommend to attach to the system to indicate my battery level? Also, what charging habits should I adhere to to maximize battery life and performance? Lastly, if I were to upgrade to two or more batteries or panels, how would this change my charge controller needs. Thanks! -Sean

May 8, 2008 10:57 pm
Re: My mini solar system ---need more data to answer

I think more questions need to be asked before your questions can be answered...

What type of "volt meter" do you want?  a simple analog or digital volt meter that does nothing but show voltage?  Or do you want something that will show other battery data like; capacity in amp hours, watts, amps, % full? 
Doing a quick search on this site will show you some of the options:
http://search.altenergystore.com/search/?w=volt+meter&p=Q&ts=v2

For your second question.  Simply speaking, the less you discharge your batteries the more life you will get out of them.  For example, If you constantly discharge your battery beyond 50% of its capacity, it will have a shorter life span.  If you only discharge it to say 90% of it's capacity, it will have a much longer life span.

For your last questions, to determin how it would affect your charge controller, first you need to know what your current charge controller specifications are.  Then I would need to know the specific wattages of your panels, would you wire them in series or parallel?, how many amps will your new solar array produce, how many amps is your load drawing, etc...

18 Posts
May 12, 2008 02:31 pm
Re: My mini solar system.

In answer to the charge controller question.  If you get more solar panels then your present charge controller can handle - just get another charge controller.

Getting more batteries might mean you will want to get more solar panels, as a "general rule of thumb" you should have 10-20% of solar for battery power.  So if you have a 120 amp hour battery then you should have about 12 amp panel set.  Think about it - you use half the battery (50% Depth of Discharge = DOD) 60 amp hours and then charge it at 12 amps - you need 5 hours (5hr x 12a = 60ah) plus 1 hour because battery is 80% efficient at taking a charge.

Battery life is shortened by deep discharge and by being left in a discharged state.  Faster charging is better for batteries because there is less "permanent" sulfating.  Get a desulphator for your batteries.  Your batteries are your weakest link - do the most for them.  You might also want a battery charger (grid plug in) to compliment the solar panels on cloudy/ winter days.

If you actually do get a "battery meter" (Trimetric) then it will upgrade with your system no matter how big it gets.  The battery is the only component that won't upgrade however so get a set big enough to only discharge 20-30% for your power needs (ex: 60 amp hours x 12 volts = 720 Watt hours so a microwave that takes 700 Watts will run for 1 hour).

For a cheap meter "system" get a "Watts Up" or "Doc Wattson" (ea. $60 at www.powerwerx.com) for the charge controller to battery counting (Watts).  Get a "Kill a Watt" (ea. $33 at www.altenergystore.com) for the inverter.  Then - make sure that you always have 20% more Watts coming in then going out.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!