Morningstar Prostar 15A with AC/DC Adapter for input

3 Posts
Jan 23, 2009 05:12 pm
Morningstar Prostar 15A with AC/DC Adapter for input

Well, this is not really a solar application, but I just wanted to know if it is possible to use the Morningstar Prostar 15A or similar charge controllers as charger and low-voltage disconnect for a backup battery in a 12V DC power system.

I have a few low-power DC loads that needs to stay on 24x7. We have utility interruptions in our area. So, I was thinking of using a 12V DC UPS System to power those devices (can accept 8V DC to 21V DC). The input power to Morningstar Prostar 15A will come from AC/DC adapter connected to utility (not solar panels).

Will there be any problem using the AC/DC adapter in place of the solar panels?

Thank you in advance!

Mats

Jan 23, 2009 06:14 pm
Re: Morningstar Prostar 15A with AC/DC Adapter for input

One thing I would be leary of is ripple.
PV power is pure DC as with batteries but ac tranformer/rectifiers create a ripple that might have an adverse effect on a PV charge controller.
On the bottom of page 14 of the Prostar 15 manual it says that an alternate power source can be used for testing purposes but it does not specify if it can tolerate ripple from an ac transfomer/rectifier indefinately.

Unless someone else can give a better answer, I would suggest getting in contact with a Morningstar tech. rep..

Would something like this suit your needs?
http://www.powerstream.com/dcups-30

3 Posts
Jan 23, 2009 06:43 pm

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I did consider DCUPS-30 and some other products from Powerstream, but would prefer a more powerful and sophisticated charger.

Also, saw the manual where it mentions the use of an external "current limited" power supply for testing. At another place it specifically tells not to use anything other than solar as input, but I was not sure of the reason. Thanks for bringing up the ripple factor!

33 Posts
Jan 23, 2009 06:48 pm

You may want to consider this.

http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/product.php?productid=5779&cat=538&page=1

You really don't want to use a non PF charger for very very long extended duties. You will in a sense be using it as a power supply so you need a really really good microprocessor charger behind it all or load switches will confuse the stage setting and everything.

As thomas pointed out don't try to use solar charge controller with a power supply or some nonsense. You will get into regulation trouble and have boiled batteries or worse.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2009 06:50 pm by Jonathan Winters »

3 Posts
Jan 23, 2009 07:00 pm

Thank you! I will go by your warning and would consider a more specialized product than the solar charge controller. I looked at the product that you posted, but that is just a charger. Not sure if that can be made to function as a DC UPS; no load switching and low-voltage disconnect.

33 Posts
Jan 24, 2009 11:36 am

It doesn't have to function as a dc ups. The battery it hooks up to is a dc ups. They are DC loads loss of ac doesn't matter.

Jan 24, 2009 03:38 pm

"I have a few low-power DC loads that needs to stay on 24x7."

"So, I was thinking of using a 12V DC UPS System to power those devices (can accept 8V DC to 21V DC)."

In review, I am just a little confused.
You want to "build" your own 12 vdc nominal supply UPS utilizing a 120 vac grid circuit?
You want to use that 120 vac circuit to power all of the 12 vdc loads while the utility power is up but, you want the UPS to take over 12 vdc loads when the utility is down and you want a low voltage dc cutoff?

If you could size the battery pack large enough it could go for days without needing to recharge or "cutoff."

Two - Trojan T-105's wired in series will provide 220 amp hours at 12 vdc nominal at the 20 hour rate. Four = 440 amphours and so on.

Somebody is bound to make a charger that has input of 120 vac to recharge if necessary and maintain a 12 vdc nominal battery pack while still being able to power the dc loads.

http://www.directdepot.net/product_info.php?products_id=8965

Just connect your 12 vdc loads to the battery pack.

Of course I have no way of knowing just what your exact situation is as far as; amphour requirements, days of autonomy or, any budget restraints. Do each of the loads have their own battery?

How long do "black outs" last? A week? Just size the battery pack to last 10 days.
With the above charger, "brown outs" might not matter because it has such a spread on the ac input voltage.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!