Minimum watts to grid tie?

1 Posts
Feb 8, 2008 01:55 pm
Minimum watts to grid tie?

Hello. I am fairly new to the alternative energy scene, however am quickly growing more and more interested. I am wondering if it is possible to grid-tie a system that produces smaller wattages, say 500,1000 or 2000 watts? I'm not interested in getting off the grid, or drastically reducing my monthly bill. I'm only thinking this in order to put back a small amount onto the grid, which if everyone did, would make a huge difference. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

52 Posts
Feb 8, 2008 05:59 pm
Re: Minimum watts to grid tie?

Hi Paul,

Check out some of our micro grid tie systems:

http://store.altenergystore.com/Kits-and-Package-Deals/On-Grid-Grid-Tied-Systems/Alt-E-Designed-Grid-Tie-Packages/c1087/

We were able to design a system that's as small as 240w! I think that System's 3 and 4 are the best in this category. They are very expandable systems- you can have up to 10 of the Sanyo 195w panels in the system without needing to upgrade the inverter.

If you need a custom quote on a grid tie system let me know.

-Chris

6 Posts
Feb 23, 2008 03:36 pm

Paul, it was good to read your question.  I would like to add on a micro hydro system for the downspout from my 850 square foot roof and tie it to a micro turbine on the roof.  I already have a 2kw grid tied solar system on the roof and have learned by reading here that I should leave that inverter alone.  I understand that the micro hydro will produce only a few watts and that the wind turbine will produce only a few more but having the solar panels and seeing the power generating possibilities excites me even if it is not cost effective.  It would feel great to lie in bed at night during a rain and wind storm while the solar panels are sleeping and know I was generating electricity.  I do not understand all the math but it does seem that inverters need 150 vdc to operate so how can I grid tie with so little voltage.  The reply from Chris Brown confused me because I could not find an inverter in the parts list he sent you.

Thanks
William

Feb 24, 2008 06:45 am

Assuming that you have allready reached an apogee where the energy efficiency of your home is concerned, think in terms of, offsetting the electric needs of a particular appliance or the perhaps the gas or oil needs for heating, which ever may apply.
If electric energy, take for example the refrigerator. Lets say it consumes on average over a year, 150 watts in 24 hours. In your region you have an average over a year of, 3 hours of full rated power from PV in 24 hours. That would be, at minimum, a 50 watt PV array.
Remember these figures are an average and they are only an example to demonstrate the math.
Typically, small systems as in the example I gave do not exist anymore. At one time a company called Solarex made PV modules with a built "microinverters" and some folks might just plug it right into a wall receptacles. Not Code legal (National Electrical Code) but it happened.
Oh, by the way, Solarex which was a subsidiary of the American Oil Company (Amoco) sold out along with Amoco to the British Petroleum company (BP) who also produce PV modules. Next thing you know Shell Oil, General Electric, almost everybody is making PV modules. Then they proclaim that there is a shortage of raw materials for making PV cells and the price of PV goes through the roof. Smells fishy to me.
Sorry 'bout that. I got off the subject. I guess you can tell, I am not happy with the PV industry right now. Back to the subject...
You know, the widespread utilization of electric energy by human beings on the planet Earth is only about 100 years old. Beginning with the likes of Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, and George Westinghouse. In retrospect, human beings have lived on the planet Earth for more than 7,000 years. No matter what your religion teaches, you cannot disagree with these facts. This means that for over 6,900 years, human beings did more than just survive on the planet Earth, the flourished, without the utilization of electric energy.
Now look at us today only after 100 years with it.
 Oops, there I go again.
I am going to sign off now. Best of luck to you Paul. If you truly want minimum watts, then just turn it off!

184 Posts
Feb 25, 2008 09:24 am

Hello Paul,

Any effort to conserve natural resources and protect the environment, regardless of how small the effort, is admirable.  When I installed my small off-grid system it caused me to think about how much electricity was being wasted in my home.  I started working on energy conservation with the hope that someday my PV system could provide all of the electricity I need.  Two years later I'm still doing things to reduce my load, and on enlarging my PV system.  I hope others, like you, will do the same.  Everyone benefits.   

52 Posts
Feb 25, 2008 11:14 am

The Micro Grid-Tie packages use a few high voltage PV modules in series to get the inverters to turn on. While the wattage is low for the system (in some cases less then 500w), the voltage is still over 150 Voc. If your wind generators or hydro turbines can generate 24v or 48v DC you could charge a battery bank and then use a battery based grid tie inverter, like the Outback GFX or the Xantrex XW series. You can check out some of our battery based grid tie inverters here:

http://store.altenergystore.com/Inverters/On-Grid-Off-Grid-Capable-Inverters/c561/

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!