Load Distribution Block, Grounding and Enclosures

2 Posts
Apr 19, 2008 06:25 pm
Load Distribution Block, Grounding and Enclosures

At what wattage must the load go from 'wired to controller' to 'four terminal load distribution block' for an off grid 12v system?  We noted that the 50 watt did not require this but the 115 watt did.

In building our mobile solar system at 100 Watts, as this unit is mobile, do we use a grounding rod or how?

For enclosures, can fiberglass or plastic be used instead of metal?

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2008 10:44 pm by Roger Street »

May 2, 2008 04:12 am
Re: Load Distribution Block, Grounding and Enclosures

I am trying to understand your questions better by visualization. I am imagining a pop-up travel trailer with a 100 watt PV module that is deployable or maybe fixed. This in turn recharges a deep cycle battery utilizing some sort of charge control. Which in turn provides power for lighting and stuff by way of a DC rated, fused, power distribution panel.

At what wattage must the load go from 'wired to controller' to 'four terminal load distribution block' for an off grid 12v system?  We noted that the 50 watt did not require this but the 115 watt did.

Nope sorry, don't have a clue what your asking in the first question. My deductive reasoning skills seem to have eluded me there. I need something more.
Name brands, model numbers, something.

In building our mobile solar system at 100 Watts, as this unit is mobile, do we use a grounding rod or how?

Most low voltage, DC, mobile applications, off grid I know of do not require a grounding rod in Earth.

For enclosures, can fiberglass or plastic be used instead of metal?

I don't see any reason why it can't be fiberglass instead of metal.

Something I would like to point out is that most automotive electrical devices, such as but not limited to fuses and fused distribution panels are not rated for the higher open circuit voltages that a PV module can produce.

2 Posts
May 2, 2008 11:36 am
battert amps

If I need 6 days sunlight autonomy, how much additional wattage must I supply from the solar panels to supply this?

Example: Solar Panel-130Watts, based on 4 hr per day area

Power daily- 200Watts, supply about avg 280W daily

Question is:  If we only have an additional avg. of 80Watts per day,  how much amount or percentage must this be to keep a 220A battery such a 4 battery Optima series charged properly?  Or another way of asking this is: How much trickle charge do these batteries need to keep them properly charged?
Please respond ASAP.  We need to order parts from you guys.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2008 11:40 am by Roger Street »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!