LONG RUN CABLE in AC or DC?

1 Posts
Feb 5, 2008 01:44 am
LONG RUN CABLE in AC or DC?

My 1000w wind turbine produces 3 phase AC and is 500 ft from the house. Should I run the AC current to the house and then convert to DC or site the 24v controller close to the tower and run 24v DC to the battery bank and inverter by the house? I keep getting different answers.

163 Posts
Feb 5, 2008 10:54 am
Re: LONG RUN CABLE in AC or DC?

Do the longest run with the highest voltage that you have available. You are effectively transferring power (V x I), but the current (I) portion determines the size, or ampacity, of the cable that you will have to use and that will probably be your greatest cost. The lower the current being transferred the smaller, and hence cheaper, cable you can deploy. This is why power utilities transfer power from their main generation plants to the sub-stations with voltages in the kilovolt range. The low current minimizes the loss of power in the cables.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!