Help designing system for internet servers

1 Posts
Apr 25, 2008 01:19 pm
Help designing system for internet servers

Good afternoon,

I'm looking for a little help sizing a system.  We've just moved our Internet servers into a new location, where we have full control.  I would like to make this a green site. 

Everything runs at 110VAC.  For the servers themselves, they are run through a device, where we can see the amp load of each device. 

Last night, with 9 devices up, we were pulling 7A. 
  With our large network switch and my laptop on, we were pulling 10A.

Immediately, we're looking to run approximately 10A of servers, and 10A of air conditioning.  As we grow, this will obviously grow also.  It will peak a bit higher than that momentary when the A/C unit kicks on.  The servers don't have a substantial peak unless they're all restarted at the same time.

I have an RV project that I'm working on too, and it requires two 8D truck batteries.  Those are about 250Ah at 12vdc.  They're rated at somewhere between 1100A and 1400A at 12V for starting the vehicle.  I have a local vendor who sells these "used" batteries fairly cheap.  They're reconditioned, and work fine.  I would be happy using these batteries, even if they should only have a functional life of a few years.

A have a source for a used 11Kw LPG generator.  It's a good name brand, but I'll check it over carefully before purchase.

I'm looking for what the requirements would be to run at at least 20A constantly, with enough battery time for at least a couple days, and the generator to help out if the solar cannot keep up. 

Our average sun is 5.67 hours/day.  We are in a hurricane prone area, which is why we want to have a couple days of reserve battery, and the generator.  Sometimes it stays fairly dark for a few days through a big storm.

In time, we want to size it to run the building, which is a consideration too.  I don't have accurate information on the total consumption for the building, but consider it like a 2500sq/ft house.

Apr 30, 2008 08:36 pm
Re: Help designing system for internet servers

I like restricting any engine driven generator usage to long periods of inclamate weather.
So to size a battery bank.
20 amps x 120 volts = 2400 watts.
Does this all run for 24 hours?
24 hours x 2400 watts = 57,600 watt hours -
57600 watt hours / 48 volts = 1200 amp hours
To give your batteries a certain amount of autonomy and longevity size it to stay in the top 20% depth of discharge.
1200 x 5 = 6000 amp hours total capacity at 48 volts nominal. If it all runs 24 hours a day like this, this would give you 3 to 5 days of autonomy, then it might be time to fire up the generator, unless the PV array is sized right.
1200 amp hours x 48 = 57600 watt hours.
57600 watt hours / 5.6 hours a day = 10000 watt PV array at 48 volts nominal, at the very least.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!