Ground Mount system - How far can I place from inverter?

1 Posts
Jul 8, 2009 09:06 am
Ground Mount system - How far can I place from inverter?

I'm new to PV but have done MUCH reading over the past couple years.
I'm considering a system in the neighborhood of 2.5 Kw - grid tied with no battery. I have 6 acres of which there is a 3 acre area with no trees - yet shielded from view from the house. This area is about 150 yards from the house. My question is this.. "How much efficiency am I going to lose with that long of a cable run?"  Or - is there a way to compensate for the long run with heavier cable?.
Thanks - any advice would be greatly appreciated

1 Posts
Jul 8, 2009 11:20 am
Re: Ground Mount system - How far can I place from inverter?

Whatever size wires you calculate you need, invert your power before transporting it for less losses. The reason why AC became the choice over DC is because it sustains significantly less losses in transmission.

578 Posts
Jul 8, 2009 04:55 pm

the voltage drop totally depends on the system and on the voltage it is wired for.  I would bet that your 2.5kw system will not have any advantage by inverting it first if you are running a straight grid tie setup.  likely your voltage will be well over 240vdc, making the dc run the more preferable one to make at length.

in order for somebody to do the calcs, they will need to know the array, and as close to the exact distance as possible.  I would imagine, that the wires would be large, but not necessarily outrageous.  the other bit of info that would be useful to your solar pro and/or your electrician would be what size your main service panel is rated for and if you have room for a backfeeding circuit breaker.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Jul 9, 2009 02:17 am

I would suggest you move it a lot closer to the house. 
It will save you big bucks.

You can always build a fence or plant some shrubs to shield the view.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!