Earthing solar system

6 Posts
Nov 14, 2007 01:58 am
Earthing solar system

Hi,
what is the thinking on earthing requirements on a solar system.  My friend has a small 2.2Kw generator that is used to either charge her batteries or run the house (a simple unplug the inverter, plug in the generator system!) and a 1Kw pure sinewave inverter connected to the batteries. There are 2 solar panels connected to the system via a charge controller with 2 wires (no earth) the panels are mounted on the floor on a concrete and metal frame.

Will the system need an earth? The inverter has earth and neutral internally bonded and the earth from the inverter is fed to the house. There is no additional earthing.

What is the current thinking? Should she have a seperate earth rod to bond the inverter and generator to?

Thanks,

Nigel

28 Posts
Nov 14, 2007 06:07 am
Re: Earthing solar system

In the US the National Electric Code is followed.  I assume you are in the U.K., so you must really check the U.K. regulations.  To attempt to answer your question, without knowing anything about your local code, I think if each has a separate earth, you should bond the separate earthings together.  The idea is that no components should ever have the possibility of developing differential voltages between them.

Here are some guidelines for inspecting U.S./ N.E.C. compliant installations, within which you will see the above recommendation.  Maybe this document will be of help until you can find out exactly how the system should be wired according to the U.K. electric code.

http://www.irecusa.org/fileadmin/user_upload/NationalOutreachPubs/InspectorGuidelines-Version2.1.pdf

462 Posts
Nov 15, 2007 11:50 am

...Sounds like the panels are already grounded by resting on the ground....

28 Posts
Nov 16, 2007 03:21 pm

On the ground yes, but not "grounded" electrically.  The panels need to be bonded to electrical ground.

163 Posts
Nov 16, 2007 05:45 pm

Nigel,

I think you can find the answer, with very good explanations I might add, to your grounding and other questions here:
http://photovoltaics.sandia.gov/docs/John_Wiles_Code_Corner.htm

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!