Controller battery voltage cutoff

55 Posts
Mar 23, 2007 05:50 pm
Controller battery voltage cutoff

For reference at what battery voltage in general does most charge controller stop charging at? I live were it is easy to have one or two days of no sun and that will allow the surface charge on my batteries to be gone. I am assuming it is 12.8 BUT I may need correcting.

Mar 23, 2007 10:57 pm
Re: Controller battery voltage cutoff

Depends on type of battery. Typically speaking, for most residential off grid PV battery charging systems there is either flooded cell lead acid or sealed gel cells. My personal experience is with flooded cell lead acid batteries. The charge controllers have adjustable set points. One is a Trace C-30-A, a basic on/off type controller. The low limit connect is set at 13.2 and the high limit disconnect is set at 14.4.
The second is a Trace C-60, a pulse width modulation type. Basically the same set points give or take a few tenths. Both have a "equalizing" mode that "locks in" full charge. The C-30-A has a manual on/off switch. The C-60 has to be turn on manually but can turn its equalizing mode off automatically.
In some cases depending on the relative size of the battery to the PV array and power usage a controller may not be necessary, but I don't recommend this to anyone because, as Forrest Gump put it "__it happens."
The idea is to get a good charge, and replace amp hours without an excessive amount of "bubbling" because this leads to more frequent water replacement.

184 Posts
Apr 12, 2007 04:44 pm

The Morningstar Charge Controller has the following cutoff points:

For gel batteries:  14.0
For sealed batteries:  14.15
For flooded batteries:  14.4

The high-end controllers have equalization capabilities.

John

26 Posts
May 22, 2007 06:36 am

I 'push' my batteries (golf cart) to 14.8 or so in the winter cold (they are in a cold basement) and back the controller down to about 14.4 in the summer.

The low point is about 1 volt below that, not user settable.

I am using the Flexcharge c20

May 23, 2007 10:15 am

I have a PV system in a mountain cabin in So CA.  I have run into a condition that I can't seem to fix and need some answers if you can help.

I use a Trace 2400 watt pure sine inverter/charger, six 75 watt PV panels and a Trace C40 solar controller.  Recently I changed batteries.  I was using Trojan flooded cells (390AH 6 volt L16) arranged as a 12V system.  I upgraded to MK 12 volt gel batteries with about the same capacity.

I carefully adjusted the I/C and the C40 to the correct bulk and float charging voltages for gel batteries.  The C40 was adjusted with a digital voltmeter at its test points and the I/C from its menu settings.  The I/C is left in search mode while not being used (this can be several days).  The batteries reach their float voltages but then at some point the I/C gets a HVCO fault and displays an error.  The high voltage cutout value is set at 14.5 volts.  This fault (according to the Trace I/C manual) should reset automatically but does not.  My questions are:

1. How can the battery voltage rise above the float level and reach the high  voltage cutout point?  Is this characteristic of gels?  It never happened with the flooded Trojans.

2.  Why doesn't the I/C reset when the voltage drops lower than the HVCO.  When I get there to inspect things, the voltage of the batteries is about 13.6, well below the HVCO of 14.5.  The C40 at this point indicates fully charged batteries.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated Thanks

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!