Charge controller and Diversion Load Controller on the same system?

9 Posts
Mar 17, 2008 05:42 pm
Charge controller and Diversion Load Controller on the same system?

Hi again all,

So, my next project will be to set up a small system that will:

a.) charge a battery via PV->charge controller
b.) when battery is full, divert PV output to a small backyard fountain pump.

So ideally, when the battery is fully charged, the fountain turns on, and when the battery needs charging, all output from the array goes to the charge controller.

I'm hoping to use the Morningstar Ps-30M for the charge controller (don't want to go with a shunt controller, as that would be entrusting my battery health strictly to a diversion load, which in my case is an inductive load (water pump), which is apparently not a good idea), and then a diversion controller to-be-determined to offload to the pump.

I've been looking around for info on how to wire this all up - if it will even work - and thought I'd check here to see in anyone has a simple answer. 

Thanks in advance!

72 Posts
Mar 18, 2008 06:44 am
Re: Charge controller and Diversion Load Controller on the same system?

Hi Ryan,

I don't have an answer to your question, but i wanted to chime in and say that I'm looking for the same kind of solution.

But, in my case, I want the extra energy diverted to a grid tie inverter.

I love your idea of the fountain pump though, thats a great way to not let the energy go to waste!

578 Posts
Mar 18, 2008 05:24 pm

hey guys, as far as i know, the fountain solution is possible, but impractical and the grid tie solution is impossible.

for the fountain, you would have to make sure that your loads (fountain(s)) could meet the whole production side's output.  then you would have a diversion load controller set to just below the voltage that your normal controller cuts out. 

the problem with this is that likely the diversion load kicking on will lower voltage and cause a see-saw effect.  i have heard of folks using timers to pull this off, or something like a relay driver, but the effort and cost put in (in my sole opinion) is not worth the end result.

i would just run the loads you want on the load portion of the controller.

or you could use a dc timer during the best hours of the day, if you see continual controller regulating or "wasting" of power.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008 05:26 pm by James Cormican »

9 Posts
Mar 18, 2008 05:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, James -

Blast!  There must be a simple way to get this working.  I just can't abide watching energy from my panel going to waste when the battery is all charged up... and having the fountain kick on as a "battery charged!" indicator sounds really nice.

Hmmm....

578 Posts
Mar 18, 2008 05:47 pm

well, that is a good problem to have.  run more loads, especially midday.  if you want to run a fountain, you could have it on a timer like this

http://store.altenergystore.com/Enclosures-Electrical-and-Safety/Miscellaneous-Electrical-Parts/Switches/Timers/AEE-FlexCharge-Digital-Timer/p2342/

and run it sometime in the middle of the day when your output is likely the best.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

72 Posts
Mar 18, 2008 10:08 pm

James,
Thanks ... but bummer.

I'm sure that this may sound a bit silly, but ....

Why couldn't you do roughly this:
PV
-> Charge Controller
-> battery ( with primary load )
-> *Charge Controller*
-> battery or inverter?
-> secondary load

Where the second charge controller makes sure the power flows one way to the secondary load. And is ideally proceeded by a circuit that only cuts in at a set voltage level or time.

9 Posts
Mar 19, 2008 01:49 am

Hey Keith - so in your schematic, you have both charge controllers hooked up directly to battery #1, right?  The first being used to charge from the PV, the second acting as a diversion load controller which would be powering the second load as long as the voltage on battery #1 was above a certain threshold?

My only observation there would be that if you've got the wires from both controllers connected to the same terminals on the battery, then controller #2 would be reading the voltage coming from controller #1, wouldn't it?  Thus, as long as the PV was lit up, controller #2 would think the battery was fully charged and would be powering the second load - even if the battery was dead!

That said (and assuming I read your schematic correctly), I think you are on the right track here!  Now, how can we get each controller reading the voltage of battery #1 without interfering with each other?  I haven't yet seen a battery with two sets of terminals... Smiley

9 Posts
Mar 19, 2008 02:13 am

You know, thinking this through a bit more, maybe the solution would be to just go with a single shunt controller after all:

PV-->shunt-->battery
          |
          v
    2nd load

where the shunt would be monitoring the battery, and in the case that it is fully charged, would send all PV output to the  2nd load; in the case of the battery needing charging, all PV output would go to the battery and 2nd load gets none.

I've tried to steer clear of a shunt controller because in my understanding you HAVE to have that diversion load capable of taking the full PV output, and always available - like a heating element or even a heat sink.  Not sure how that would work out for a grid-tie inverter in your case, or a water pump in mine... food for thought perhaps. 

72 Posts
Mar 19, 2008 06:28 am

I haven't yet seen a battery with two sets of terminals... Smiley

Hey Ryan,
Actually, the batteries I'm using, do have two sets of terminals.
See:
http://store.altenergystore.com/Batteries/Batteries-Sealed-Agm/MK-8A31-AGM-105-Ah-20-Hr-AGM-Battery/p769/

And, when I test my battery, with a meter, I see what appears to be the battery voltage ... not the controller's input.  At least I think that is what I'm seeing. It definitely goes down with consumption!
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008 06:40 am by Keith Birchfield »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!