Charge Controller for Whisper 100 Wind Generator

20 Posts
Jul 20, 2009 08:37 pm
Charge Controller for Whisper 100 Wind Generator

I installed my Whisper 100 last fall and now the charge controller has gone haywire!  I have contacted Southwest Windpower and have been given a "ticket number".  But no answers or any help of any knid.  Sooooo, what other options are there for setting up a charge controller for my system?  I am operating off grid into 4, 258AH, AGM 12 volt batteries in series for a 48V system.  I use a 48V inverter to power my 120V AC electrical devices, such as TV, lights, refrigerator, etc.

I would like to also add solar panels this year or next spring for a total of about 1800 watts from the PV.  Is there a charge controller I could buy that would handle both the wind generator and the 1800 wats of solar PV?

VonZip
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009 08:41 pm by Eric Frantz »

578 Posts
Jul 21, 2009 10:14 am
Re: Charge Controller for Whisper 100 Wind Generator

not that i am aware of.  you will likely get better performance putting them on separate controllers. 

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

20 Posts
Jul 21, 2009 10:52 am

OK James, so what do you recommend?  What controller for the wind genny and what controller for the solar panels?

578 Posts
Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm

for the turbine, the safe route is to go with standard factory issue.�  this will mesh with the manual, maintain any warranty, and have minimal user interaction required (assuming the replacement functions normally).

the other choice is as below
 go with a diversion load controller, like a tristar.�  this would need to be coupled with an appropriate sized diversion load.�  in this configuration, the turbine goes straight to the battery bank, and the diversion load controller closes the circuit to a diversion load when the battery bank reaches a certain voltage setpoint.�  this would require getting the setpoints correct for your battery bank.�  often two diversion load controllers are set up in parallel in case of the failure of one of them.

i was looking for something else and saw this:
http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/news/article/announcing_the_sb3024i_il_duo-option/

now i am aware of a controller that does both.�  as far as i know, your 48v setup excludes you from this possibility regarding your earlier post.

bergey's controller for the xl.1 i think can handle up to .8 or 1kw of pv, but it is only for 24v nominal systems eliminating your request on both counts.

regarding the controller for the pv array, it depends on the array, the features you want, and the budget.�  there are tons of charge controller choices out there.�  if you can swing it, an mppt controller will give better performance.

the reason i said that each would perform better with a separate controller, is the same concept as you would see with a component stereo for example.�  a boom box may function, but not like the component system would.�  with 2 things in the same basket, some things are compromised.�  generally those controllers having a diversion element like the swwp or the bergey have a diversion load as a part of them and in the case of a bergey, a pwm controller for pv if you choose to use it.�  going separate enables an mppt controller to get better performance from the pv.�  if you go 2 in one, if your everything controller breaks, you have nothing but twice the problem.�  both controllers are also in an environment that could be hot by the nature of the diversion load, and cooler electronics are happier electronics.

thanks for the post, hope that helps, good luck with the system

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!