CFL bulbs - 12V AC vs. 12V DC

2 Posts
Dec 30, 2007 10:15 am
CFL bulbs - 12V AC vs. 12V DC

Does anyone know the impact of using 12V DC compact fluorescent bulbs in a 12V AC system (i.e. using the output from a typical low voltage lighting transformer)?  I know that most bulbs (mine in question are made by Phocos and available at this store) have 12V DC polarity specific fixture installation requirements.  Last night I installed an 11 watt Phocos 12V DC CFL bulb into one of my 12V AC lighting fixtures and it lit/worked just fine.  However, does this reduce the life or in any way damage the CFL bulb?

6 Posts
Jan 1, 2008 03:20 pm
Re: CFL bulbs - 12V AC vs. 12V DC

Gosh, if you have 12 Vdc why not try those 12 Vdc LED bulbs.  I have some here I am experimenting with and they use lots less power than compact florescent units.  Mine have 32 or 36 LEDs in each screw in bulb unit. If you want to run them from ac then ac LED units are available too.

2 Posts
Jan 3, 2008 06:35 am
Re: CFL bulbs - 12V AC vs. 12V DC

Agreed, the 12V LEDs on the market are generally both DC and AC compatable.  The problem is that the brightest 12V LED bulb I could find (that was not a spot/flood light style) generated only about 150 lumens.  If I need something in the 300+ lumens range, the only alternative appears to be incandescent or CFL.  Since CFLs only appear to be 12V DC (not AC), looks like incandescent is the only option.

Do you know of any 12V AC/DC LED globe-type bulbs (again not a flood or spot light type) that generate that many lumens?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!