Battery charge life

7 Posts
Aug 18, 2009 07:59 am
Battery charge life

I am new to RE but I have a problem that I would appreciate some insight on. I have a small 200-300 watt wind turbine hooked directly to 2- 115 amp/hr deep cycle marine batteries and I have a 75 watt SolarTech panel and a 80 watt Kyocera panel hooked to a SunSaver 10 charge controller. I realize that the SunSaver 10 might be borderline based on both panels but I can't seem to get the batteries to run a 35 watt CFL street light more than 6 hours on my father's shop. The battery voltage will be 12.1 when the light starts flickering and I have tried 2 different inverters to see if that was the problem. I have yet to see 13 plus volts on the batteries. Batteries are hooked up parallel for 12 volts. Panels are producing 17.5 to 20.3 open circuit. I load tested both batteries yesterday and both showed in the green, good area of meter. Batteries are from WalMart and less than a month old. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Going green in MS.

351 Posts
Aug 19, 2009 02:16 am
Re: Battery charge life

CFL's can be a little quirky, especially when they are the only load on a MSW inverter. To test that, try taking a normal incandescent 35 watt bulb and running it. See if it goes longer than the 6 hours.

7 Posts
Aug 19, 2009 04:21 am
Re: Battery charge life

OK, I will try regular incandescent bulb. By morning the cfl would be off but my battery voltage would be around 11.5 vdc.
thanks

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!