Air-X Bad Experience

6 Posts
Oct 10, 2007 08:57 pm
Air-X Bad Experience

I have metered two Air-X turbines and could not get more that 1 amp out of steady 15-20 mph winds, and peak brief (1/2 second) amperage at 25 mph of 3 amps.  I find this to be a big disappointment when compared to the manufacturer's specs claiming that the turbine deliverse 16 amps in a 28mph wind. Furthermore, I cannot get a single technical personel to give me a solid answer on how many amps can be expected, so I dont know if my second turbine is bad, or if the product is extremely overstated by the manufacturer.  Even more frustration stems from the warranty and return process.   After only  having the turbine in my possession for three days and being dissatisfied, it was suggested to me by Alternative Energy Store to send my first turbine directly to Southwest, where it sat (conveniently for them) beyond the 30 day period for return.  This is all very suspicious to me, particularly after reading this: http://www.wind-works.org/articles/sm_AirXtest.html 
Has anyone else experienced problems of low power output with the Air-X, and if so, has the situation been remedied?  And how?  Thank you.

1 Posts
Oct 11, 2007 11:47 am
Re: Air-X Bad Experience

I have a photograph on my desk at work that shows my AirX (12volt) giving me 12.7 amps in a roughly 16mph wind. Three days hardly seems like enough time to work out the kinks. Whenever I have had problems with my solar/wind it seems like it was operator error over hardware error everytime.

I'd check connections again. How about line loss?

6 Posts
Oct 11, 2007 06:58 pm

My second turbine has been operating for an additional 48 hrs in constant 15-25 mph winds, the harbor has had small craft and some gale warnings posted five miles away, for the past three days. I have a clear fetch across lake michigan of 250+ miles with no obstructions. I have watched the meter constantly and has never gone above 3 amps and is normally around 1. If I have more than 2 efficiant light bulbs going, .6 amps total, the turbine cannot keep up.  I have followed the manual closely.  Line length is 50 feet including tower, wire gauge is #12, voltage is 24.  I have rewired it and checked connections several times. I have metered it at the base of the tower, and at the top of the tower. I have wired several solar panels and am quite able.  The turbine is obviously way over-spec'd.  And judging from the swamped warrantly dept at Southwest, and the oblique and insulting responses I get from the technicians, my problem is not unique. It is unfair that the manufacture's problems have to be mine.

163 Posts
Oct 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Perhaps it's a bit late now, but I came across this a couple of days ago.
http://www.homepower.com/files/featured/TurbineBuyersGuide.pdf

Actually, there are several articles worth reading on this site.
http://www.homepower.com/

John

52 Posts
Oct 12, 2007 02:42 am

Hi John,

Thanks for posting about your experience. I know you have talked to myself, James and the folks at SWWP about your Air-X  for a few weeks now. Let's chat tomorrow and work on figuring out a solution to your problem.

-Chris

6 Posts
Oct 12, 2007 10:13 am

I have already invested in a tower, wire, various hardware, and time and phone calls, which equate to a considerable expense and are not recycleable toward a larger turbine.  I have already incorporated windpower into my business advertising under the premise that the turbine would generate enough power to reasonable assist the functionality of my plant, and therefor would contribute substantially to a green energy philosophy, which it does not.  My point is that I am stuck with a trickle charge turbine. 
The only way to reconcile my position is by sending my first turbine back to me, giving me two, which would double my power, and come closer to meeting the amount of power that you and SW have advertised. I will wait for your call or email to find out what SW and AE are willing to offer in terms of compensation.

6 Posts
Oct 12, 2007 09:01 pm

Thanks Chris for your offer to accept the turbine back in exchange for store credit. I chose to keep the turbine because I have already advertised and incorporated wind power in my business portfolio and I have to demonstrate that to customers, and to satifisfy particulars of my federal license.  So I guess it is a prop. Pun intended. I wish the true power potential of the turbine would have been indicated to me from the start.  It would have lowered my expectations and saved me the time and effort of sending the first one back.  Thanks for your time.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!