Hydrometer readings and saving or extending battery life

7 Posts
Jun 27, 2009 01:52 pm
Hydrometer readings and saving or extending battery life

Hi, I have 24 12V Deep Cycle Marine Batteries strung into 24V, I have done multimeter readings both before and after equalization. I did find 2 batteries in 2 different strings that were questionable (one with a much higher reading than the other)... so I removed them from the bank.
I then did some research and found out that a hydrometer is far more accurate way to test battery condition (and cells). So I managed to find one, I then went and ensured all levels were good and equalized, then waited 24hrs. I did do a multimeter test once again and found all batteries (strings) to be within .01 or .02 of one another. I then did a hydrometer test on every cell in the bank.
First all, one of the two batteries that I removed from the bank was reading the same as all the ones in the bank, and the other had 2 dead cells. Then checking the 2 strings where I had removed the questionable batteries from, I discovered that the string with the removed battery (with dead cells), that the battery left in the bank also had 2 dead cells. Then the other string the battery was reading like all the rest in the bank... so I have now readjusted things and basically remove one string of batteries with dead cells.
As for the entire bank, most all my readings were in the white around 1250 (Battery cells needs attention).

So my first question is what did I do wrong or miss with the readings to have missed one of 2 batteries with dead cells in the same string?
Second with the whole bank... what can I do to get my cells back up to a reading of 1275 or so... or is there anything I can do?
12 of the batteries are 2 years old and the other 12 are 2 and a half years old. Seems like a short life spam?
I did just recently learn and fix a heat issue in my power shed. It was well ventilated (so I thought), but then discovering that it was getting up to and over 112 degrees I have now installed a fan and added in 2 5'x1' vents in the upper walls under the eves. My temp is now around 90 degrees (and we supposed to be in rainy season as of a couple weeks ago). Also, if it matters, I am located in Central America... so it is humid! Around 50% during a sunny day and then up to 90 or 100% at night.

Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have only been living off grid for about 3 years. I hope that this post is not to confusing.

Thanks very much!

3 Posts
Jun 27, 2009 06:31 pm
Re: Hydrometer readings and saving or extending battery life

Hi Paul,

First question you asked about not finding the “sick” batteries is not unusual.  I am running with Deep Cycle Marine Batteries and came across the same situation.

When you check a battery in the string, it will probably look OK – other batteries could be providing the voltage to “charge” the bad one.  Out of the string, the battery with dead cells will probably “self-discharge” in as little as 24 hours (Good batteries should hold steady).

The dead cells may have internal short.  The high heat might have caused the plates to expand and get too close together - expanded plates will probably show bulge on battery case.

Also, there could be pieces of metal that flaked off the plates causing the short. I have had some luck getting pieces out dead cells using the hydrometer to rapidly pull and push the electrolyte out of the cell. (you either see black pieces come out, or the short breaks free and settles to the bottom).

DeSulfation can sometimes restore these dying batteries. I have used electronic desulfation which “pulses” power into the battery, and basically “vibrates” the junk off the plate surfaces.  (Try searching for desulfate on this website and others). I have not tried the chemical desulfate products (maybe others on this forum can comment).

One interesting thing about batteries with dead cells is they appear to charge faster than normal. If bad batteries were in the string, they would bring overall voltage up before remaining batteries get a full charge.  The shorted cells would then begin to discharge and pull even more power out of the good batteries. (i.e. the 1250 reading)

For the second question about the whole bank, two and one-half years isn’t very long.  However, if the State of Charge (SOC) goes below 50% on a regular basis, that could shorten the life (since I don't know your system and usage, I make no assumtions).  Not too sure about the humidity…never thought about high humidity on battery life (I guess it could make venting difficult during the equalizations)

My guess is that the dying batteries were slowly draining the whole bank, and even the equalization did not give all the batteries the refresh they needed.

My suggestion: Leave the bad ones out of the string, then “run the system hard” (Heavy discharge). Let the bank fully charge once or twice and then equalize again.  I hope the hydrometer readings will slowly improve by themselves.

Hopefully, I haven’t made this reply too long.  It’s hard to explain things in short sentences.

Best of Luck with the batteries, and enjoy the Grid Free Life!

3 Posts
Jun 27, 2009 07:01 pm

Hello again,

I forgot to add a question I had for you.
  (Sheesh…adding to my own posting, sorry about that)

You mentioned 12 batteries being 2years old, and 12 more that were slightly older.  Do you have 6-old and 6-new in each string? 

Even if the battery ratings are the same (100 AH), the ages of batteries could lead to problems, i.e. 1200AH in new battery string and 960AH in the old could cause constant current flow bringing all batteries down to lower level (again, the less-than-expected reading of 1250).

Hopefully some of my long-winded messages come in helpful.
Scott

7 Posts
Jun 28, 2009 02:58 pm

Hi Scott, thanks for the great long reply (more info is always better than not enough!).

Hmmm ok, the way this all started was my wife check the reading one morning and it was 23.8 (24V system), when usually it is 24.8 or 25. So it is very seldom that we take the bank below 50%. Anyways, the first thing I did was to check for any loose or corroded terminals (all were tight and found 2 or 3 with a small amount of corrosion). After that is when I went on to do more testing.
I am aware of DeSulfation and have had a unit in place for about to years. One question for though, I was always under the impression that having it hooked up any where on the battery bank, that it would work on all the batteries... is this correct? Also, even though the batteries in strung together, I was only having it connected to one of them (thinking that it is 12V) as I never received any paperwork with it.
One thing that I was surprised about, is you never mentioned anything about heat.

As for the batteries, each 12 are strung together, i.e. all 2 year olds and then all 2.5 year olds. But then they are connected to make one large bank. The 2 sick one were from the older side.

Thanks again for your great information.

Jun 28, 2009 03:58 pm

One thing I can tell you that is for certain, none will last for ever and you will learn quickly what works and what doesn't and how to get your moneys worth.
I started out just plugging the house up to a receptacle installed in the front of my truck. It powered nothing more than a few incandescent 12 vdc bulbs and I learned how many lights and how long we could use them and still be able to start the truck in the morning. Fortunately there is a small hill in our drive from the house. Auto cranking batteries lasted about 4 months like this.
Gradually this evolved into the installation of a battery isolator and a 12 volt marine deep cycle battery and a small on board inverter. So I was plugging up to the truck but it was 120 vac now and a few more loads in the house. These batteries lasted about two years.
Then came the PV modules and large 8D big rig cranking batteries and the truck power was done away with. These 8D's lasted a year.
More PV and Trojan T-105's. I managed to squeeze 7 years out of those. During this time even more PV was added.
We are now living with Surrette 530's. I hope to squeeze 25 years out of them.
There would seem to be some truth to the old addage: "You get what you pay for."
In anticipation of the next set, this is what I have been considering.
http://www.beutilityfree.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=129
If I only knew then what I know now. This might sound like regret, but I had lived without any electricity for nearly twenty years before wiring that receptacle to the front of my truck. So I can take it or leave it. Despite what some may have to say about it, I know for a fact that life is possible without electricity. In a lot of ways, I think it was better. It would be difficult to retire my off grid PV system but I could never retire from my off grid life.

7 Posts
Jun 28, 2009 05:24 pm

You are sooo correct, and nothing can replace experience!
Thank you for the link, they look like a way to go on the next set of batteries.
Back to my current batteries what are your thoughts on adding a half ounce (or a full once) of acid to each low cell? This would be after trying your earlier suggestions.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!